Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Making My Point

            I do not typically pound the pulpit when I preach. In fact, I don’t recall ever doing it, or seeing anyone else do it. For years I used a music stand, and had I “pounded”, the stand would have gone down before I could finish the word I was saying at the time. We now have a new, small wooden podium that is much sturdier than a music stand, but I’m still not a pounder. This past Sunday I was a pointer, however. I was making a point about times when God places His calling upon us, and I used the expression, “when God puts His finger on you…”. At the same time I gestured with my right index finger onto the top of the podium… quite vigorously. I remember being briefly distracted by a quick thought; “Ouch!... That hurts… I hit that too hard.” But when your speaking you don’t really have time to get distracted. It probably would have been better to pound my fist, because my bruised and swollen finger has been hurting ever since. It’s a small thing… a minor inconvenience. But it got me to thinking.

            This rather trivial experience led me to think about what we do to “make our point” in everyday life. It’s not uncommon for there to be some kind of casualty as a result, though usually it is someone else. In conversations every day we make our points. If the conversation is heated up by anything, we make our points with a little more “oomph”. Typically it’s not literally our finger poking someone in the eye or on the chest, but rather the tone and volume of our voice. Sharp words have power, so we use them at times. I have never believed the old children’s saying, “Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never hurt me.” We all know that words do hurt. We have all felt their sting when someone in our lives has “made his point”. James, the brother of Jesus, tells us that the tongue is a fire and that though it is very small, it can destroy an entire forest. It may be well for us to remember that the points we make can be like sparks. Don’t get me wrong, I’m quite in favor of making my point. It’s how I do it that determines if pain (mine or someone else’s) is a result. Perhaps there are times the “truth hurts” and people must deal with that. But there are also times when I look back and say to myself, “I could have said that in a different way… I could have communicated that more gently…”

            Jesus never bullied anyone with His voice, His finger, or anything else. He made His point(s) through sacrifice, servanthood, and surrender to the Father’s will. Yes, it is true that He spoke sternly to those who were abusing the temple. I just know that Jesus is much more capable of righteous indignation than I am. That being the case, I can learn a lot from His approach to people in His everyday ministry and even in His death. The most powerful moment in the history of our universe took place one day when Jesus was doing (you could say) nothing… but dying on a cross. Of course we know that much more than “nothing” was happening when Jesus died. God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself. But by all appearances, Jesus was the most helpless man in the world. On the cross He is not swearing at people, threatening anyone, raising His voice at them, or thinking/doing anything hostile. Love is motivating all that He is doing. He could have made quite a strong point by calling legions of angels to come to Him and exercise justice on all sinners. Instead, He did nothing but receive in Himself the Father’s exercise of justice on all people. In other words, Jesus got what we deserved. As He humbles Himself - even to death on a cross – He makes a point that those whom God has called will never miss. How many people do we know or read about who, when it comes to the death of Christ, have completely missed it… totally missed the point? But those who are called have eyes to see and ears to hear the grace of God in action.

            Finger-wagging, pulpit pounding, or vocal intimidation were not the ways Jesus accomplished His purposes. He did not need them. Nor do we, if we are in Christ, for He gives power and grace to those He has saved, and they can joyfully live in the overflow of His grace and mercy. May others see  and hear Christ and His righteousness in us. AMEN.

Isaiah 53:7 (NIV)  He was oppressed and afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth; he was led like a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is silent, so he did not open his mouth.

Proverbs 15:1 (NIV)  A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.

Romans 12:14 (NIV)  Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.

1 Corinthians 15:30-32 (NIV) 30  And as for us, why do we endanger ourselves every hour? 31  I die every day--I mean that, brothers--just as surely as I glory over you in Christ Jesus our Lord. 32  If I fought wild beasts in Ephesus for merely human reasons, what have I gained? If the dead are not raised, "Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die."  

PRAYER:  Father, may the point of all I speak and do be Christ… Christ in me: in my lips, in my mind, in my attitude, in my voice, in my gestures… in every aspect of how I communicate. If Christ is not in me, I am lost. Do not let sin have dominion over me, but free me: the blood of Jesus covering all of me. And may the righteousness of Christ in me be ever to your praise and glory. In His name, AMEN.”

Jesus Christ is Lord!  

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment