Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Faith Amidst the Spillage

     “Disgusting!” I thought.
     The older boy across the kitchen table had just filled his bowl too full of Rice Krispies and then filled it with milk. You would have thought the whole bowl of cereal had spilled out all over the table.
     “He should be more careful,” I snickered to myself. “What a mess! What a waste! What a pig!”
     “I don’t do it like that. I very sensibly keep all those little Krispies contained inside the bowl and pour the milk on very carefully. Then I gently push the Cereal down all around to get it wet and keep it from falling out of the bowl. That’s better. That’s the right way to do it… no waste… no mess… nice and neat.”

     Why does it feel sometimes like God is more like the boy across the table than He is like me? I mean… just look at the world. What a mess! And then those times when the untidiness of the world breaks in on my life and I have a mess on my hands. Sometimes it happens in my family. Sometimes it’s at my church. Sometimes it’s where I work. Wherever it is, I don’t want a mess on my hands. I like it all neat and in control and when I don’t have to worry about cleaning up after other people. I don’t want any “spillage”. When I get everything set in my life just the way I like it… then I want it to stay that way. So I strive and do whatever it takes to keep life from spilling out over the edges. Wouldn’t it be nice if we could actually do that? Most people I know wouldn’t claim such an ability.

In a faraway land there once lived a man was blameless and upright; he was about as close to God as a man can be.  He had a big family and everything he needed in life. He was well respected in the community and he very carefully taught his children the things of God. He had all his Rice Krispies in order and life was good and full of blessing. Then one day a messenger came to the man and said, "All your property has gone up in flames. You have nothing left". Not long after, a policeman showed up to tell him that his children had been murdered. The man cried and cried. Then in brokenness he fell on his face and worshipped God. He knew everything he had had come from God, and he knew that God had the right to take it all away whenever and however He wanted to. Somehow… everything that happened, happened so that God might be glorified. It was hard to see this. Maybe even impossible for most people. It would have been so easy to sin by accusing God of ruining his life. Later he himself would become deathly sick – nothing short of miserable. He certainly didn’t relish the idea of losing everything dear to him, and possibly even his own life. But would he lose his faith too? Would he turn his back on God? No, not this man. He said this about God: “Even if He kills me, I will still put my hope in Him. Somehow this will work to my benefit and blessing.” The “spillage” God allowed would not rob him of his faith and love. He would not let it. Even if others prodded him to give up on God. He understood that it was quite proper to be willing to receive both blessing and trouble from God. Without faith such a thing would be impossible. (See Job 1-2 and following)

In our lives God can be like that boy across the table. It appears that He often has other plans in mind. Spillage doesn’t seem to bother Him. In fact, sometimes I think He actually uses it for His glory. I’ve got my little life filled to just the right level with everything I think will make it work. And I keep it all in order. It’s all my stuff and it’s all under my control. How little patience I have for anything – or anyone – who threatens that orderliness. But what if it is God? Could I ever say – or should I – that I have no patience for God or His plans? If only I could realize and comprehend to the depths of my being that He is good… even in loss and pain, and that He wants to fill my life with good things. I just have too much of my own stuff in the way. May God let me see Him and know him more when the Rice Krispies spill over and make a mess.

Psalm 23:5 (NIV)  You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.

Psalm 103:5 (NIV)  who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.

Psalm 107:9 (NIV)  for he satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things.

Lamentations 3:37-38 (NIV) 37  Who can speak and have it happen if the Lord has not decreed it? 38  Is it not from the mouth of the Most High that both calamities and good things come?

Romans 8:28 (NIV)  And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Colossians 2:6-7 (NIV) 6  So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, 7  rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.

Job 2:10 (NIV)  He replied, "You are talking like a foolish woman. Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?" In all this, Job did not sin in what he said.

Job 13:15 (NIV)  Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him; I will surely defend my ways to his face.

PRAYER:  Father, have mercy upon me, that I might receive both blessing and trouble from you with contentment and trust. Thank you for restoring my soul in the valley. You are always good, and your love endures forever. In Jesus’ name, AMEN.”

Jesus Christ is Lord!  

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment