Tuesday, March 17, 2015

A Sigh is Just a Sigh?

            In the classic film Casablanca Sam (played by Dooley Wilson) sings, “You must remember this, a kiss is still a kiss, a sigh is just a sigh…” as he sings “As Time Goes By”. The song is number two on the American Film Institute’s list of greatest movie songs. “A sigh is just a sigh…” What is a sigh? Every now and then Joanne will ask me, “What was that for?”
            I’ll say, “What do you mean?” to which she responds, “That sigh.”
            I didn’t even know I did it. That happens often. Sometimes I am conscious of sighing, but at other times it just seems like an unconscious activity.

            The definition of “sigh” is, “a long, deep, audible exhalation expressing sadness, relief, tiredness, or a similar feeling. Charlie Brown is famous for his sighs in the comic strip Peanuts. Studies have indicated that sighing can be a way to regulate our breathing when we’re stressed, or can indicate anxiety or upset. It can also serve as a mental and physical reset button of sorts. Sighs are frequently associated with a negative mood—a sign of disappointment, defeat, frustration, boredom, and longing. Sighing in public is about as frequent as sighing in private, suggesting that it may not be (or not always be) a form of communication, per se. Whatever the case, it’s one more amazing, “small” thing about the way God created us. So small that most of us rarely ever think about it. But a few days ago I was spending some quiet time with the Lord in His Word and read a verse that made me stop and think about it. And… voilà … you’re reading those thoughts.

            In Mark 8, after feeding the 4,000, Jesus and the disciples go to a region known as Dalmanutha. This location has never been identified with certainty, though recent archaeological excavations in an area on the northwest coast of the Sea of Galilee may very well be this town. The parallel passage in Matthew associates it with Magdala, also on the northwest side of Galilee. The text says He sailed there, and when Jesus arrived He was approached by some Pharisees, who began to question Him. Their questions were not sincere, however, for they are described as testing Him (with a goal of tripping Him up). They went beyond questioning and directly asked Him to provide a sign from heaven. Verse 12 gives us His reaction, not just His response: He sighed deeply and said, ‘Why does this generation ask for a miraculous sign? I tell you the truth, no sign will be given to it.’” Jesus responds viscerally with a sigh. He knew that even if He did provide a miracle, they would still not believe, because their hearts were hard. They would find some way to explain it (and Him) away. There may be a place for miracles being a sign to evoke belief (John 10:37-38), but to ask Jesus in this manner was to put God to the test, something that had been seriously forbidden (Matthew 4:7).

            And so Jesus sighs… deeply. This detail is remarkable. It reveals Jesus’ humanity. And it communicates. What is He expressing in this sigh? Frustration with them? Incredulity at their shallowness? Weariness at their repeated attempts to trap Him? Sadness at how far away from God their hearts were? Anger? Perhaps all of this is mixed in to Jesus’ feelings at this moment and with the sigh He just releases it all at once. I think it’s a powerful moment. I know I certainly would not want to be standing before Jesus and hear Him sigh like that in my presence (about me). I would be thinking something like, “This can’t be good.”

            But I am blessed beyond measure, because Jesus died for all the sins and shortcomings in my life that might ever give Him pause or cause to stop, shake His head, and breathe out such a sigh. Instead He has “breathed on me” the Holy Spirit, the literal presence of God in my flesh and in my spirit. God’s Spirit has given me life, and made it possible for me to believe on Christ for salvation. The words of Edwin Hatch are a beautiful prayer…
Breathe on me, Breath of God,
Fill me with life anew,
That I may love what Thou dost love,
And do what Thou wouldst do.
Breathe on me, Breath of God,
Until my heart is pure,
Until with Thee I will one will,
To do and to endure.
Breathe on me, Breath of God,
Till I am wholly Thine,
Until this earthly part of me
Glows with Thy fire divine.
Breathe on me, Breath of God,
So shall I never die,
But live with Thee the perfect life
Of Thine eternity.

            May the breath of Christ through His Spirit give you life, and give you faith… and may it be an expression of His pleasure in you leading to an increase of His glory. AMEN.

Mark 8:12 (NIV)  He sighed deeply and said, "Why does this generation ask for a miraculous sign? I tell you the truth, no sign will be given to it."

John 20:21-22 (NIV) 21  Again Jesus said, "Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you." 22  And with that he breathed on them and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit.

Genesis 2:7 (NIV)  the LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.

Job 33:4 (NIV)  The Spirit of God has made me; the breath of the Almighty gives me life.

Psalm 33:6 (NIV)  By the word of the LORD were the heavens made, their starry host by the breath of his mouth.

Isaiah 40:7 (NIV)  The grass withers and the flowers fall, because the breath of the LORD blows on them. Surely the people are grass.

PRAYER:  Father, let the expression of your pleasure find me, because you see in me the righteousness of your Son, Jesus. Your Spirit has given me life and opened my heart and mind to trust in you alone. Do not sigh at my sin, but show mercy to me, that you might be glorified in your grace and I might be saved. Such grace is altogether wonderful to me. May all praise, honor, and glory be to Jesus forever. In His name, AMEN.”

Jesus Christ is Lord!  

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment