Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Have a Seat

            Do you remember where your family ate meals when you were a child? For most of us it was a table. I think some modern families are missing out if they do not eat together, or when they do eat together it is in front of a television set on a couch. My family always ate around our kitchen table. With six children it was quite snug. We had no dining room, so breakfast, lunch and supper (we never called it dinner – that was reserved for what we ate on Sunday afternoons) were consumed where they were prepared. My parents worked hard to provide plenty to eat and my mom was a good cook. That kitchen table was the center of life in our home for many years – a place to eat, do homework, play games, build things, have company, and just about anything else you can think of.

            Tables bring people together. Seated around a table, we are all at the same level. Tables are places that we share things with one another. We do not typically sit and watch others eat. We all eat. We share the food. We also talk… and learn to listen, sharing the conversation. We learn manners and how to relate to others with politeness. Our tables typically have more than one chair around them. They are made for community. When I was in college there were times when I had to be late to the cafeteria for a meal. If I didn’t find anyone I knew, I would sometimes sit alone in a sea of tables and chairs. I don’t mind sitting alone, but when I did I would wonder if anyone was looking at me and thinking me strange, anti-social, lonely, or something else I might not want thought of me. Eating is very much a social thing.

            I’m thankful for the family I grew up in… the family I married into… and the family of our own that Joanne and I have been blessed with. In each one there has always been a table. The tables have been places we could share our greatest joys, deepest sorrows, and most troubling fears and frustrations. The table and the food on it warmed us up to each other. When, as a stranger I came into Joanne’s family, the table was the place we got to know each other. If I was accepted there I could make it anywhere. In our marriage, table fellowship has been enjoyed by the four of us and beyond. We’ve had guests of all kinds, sizes and shapes: family, friends, church folks, strangers, old folks, kids, and their friends. There is nothing unusual about this. I’m sure it has been the experience of many reading these words.

            Let us not take our tables for granted. They are one of the places Jesus sits among us as the honored guest, privy to every conversation. Our tables are places where we may extend love and grace. We can build one another up in the Lord and experience His joy. At them we can offer hospitality and kindness. Jesus does all these things for us when we gather around His table to share the Lord’s Supper. When we do, we experience union with Christ as we worship Him in the eating of bread and drinking of the cup: His body broken and blood shed for us. We also experience communion with each other in Christ. Around His table we are all in the same place: guests of/by grace, none of us better than the other: all of us sinners for whom Christ died.

            As we, during the month of March, invite one another to spend time around a table – at home, in a restaurant, or at the church building – may the Lord deepen our love for Him and for one another. May we become better acquainted and learn how to better pray for one another. May our fellowship strengthen our spirits like the food strengthens our bodies. And may the good things that happen around tables be multiplied many times over in our church body. AMEN!

Psalm 128:2-4 (NIV) -  You will eat the fruit of your labor; blessings and prosperity will be yours. Your wife will be like a fruitful vine within your house; your children will be like olive shoots around your table. Yes, this will be the blessing for the man who fears the Lord.

Psalm 128:2-4 (NIV) -  26 While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take and eat; this is my body.” 27 Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, saying,“Drink from it, all of you. 28 This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. 29 I tell you, I will not drink from this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.”

Romans 12:13 (NIV) - Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.

Hebrews 13:2 (NIV) - Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it.

1 Peter 4:9 (NIV) - Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling.

PRAYER:  Father, thank you for our tables and all they represent. May they be places for encouragement, fellowship, grace, and truth where we may build one another up, experience new depths of fellowship, and welcome and worship you. In Christ’s name, AMEN.”

Jesus Christ is Lord!  

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment