Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Worship the Lord with Gladness

            I don’t know if it is S.A.D. (Seasonal Affective Disorder) problem or not, but due to the heavy doses of snow, cold, and wind in the last week or so, I found myself in recent days dealing with a complaining, grumbling spirit. I quickly became sick and tired of shoveling and trying to blow the snow in the wind as it whipped back in my face and went where it wasn’t supposed to go. I was weary of cleaning off vehicles, scraping ice, and getting into cold cars. These things are all part of living in Maine in the winter. I expect them – as I have for most of my life. Having the sun come out on Sunday was a blessing and a big help. Nevertheless I was carrying an inner annoyance and aggravation about it all.

            A complaining spirit or attitude is something I often feel that I have a right to… when I have it. My tendency is to nurse it and if you get in the way – too bad for you! People around us are often the casualties of our attitudes and moods. I can think of a number of reasons why nursing a complaining spirit is a bad idea…
      1.      How I can treat people in negative ways. I might hurt someone.
      2.      It expresses ingratitude to God and shows lack of contentment with His will.
      3.      It is self-centered (all about me).
      4.      It doesn’t do anything to improve the situation.
      5.      It often leads to quarrels with those I love.

In the Bible God was often disappointed – even angry - with His people for their complaining ways.  Adam and Eve complained. Moses complained. The Israelites who came out of Egypt complained, as did David and Jonah and some of the prophets. When they did not get their way… when things were not comfortable or easy… when their expectations were not met… they began to grumble.

How much joy we miss out on when we complain… not to mention peace and satisfaction with God. How much blessing we keep from bestowing upon others. When I complain it’s like I erect a barrier all around me that makes it hard for people to approach me. No one enjoys being around “Mr. Negative”.

The good news is that in Christ I have every reason for joy. I can confess my complaining spirit, let God’s grace wash its effects from me, seek the filling of the Holy Spirit, and become an encourager and lifter of others. Complaining will bring others down, though I do it because somehow I expect it will make me feel better. It doesn’t. When I set my grumbling aside I can build people up, bless them, and give them hope and courage instead of infecting them.

May God’s grace lead us to joy, and may it lead us to by-pass the dead-end road of a complaining spirit.

Numbers 11:1-4 (NIV) 1  Now the people complained about their hardships in the hearing of the LORD, and when he heard them his anger was aroused. Then fire from the LORD burned among them and consumed some of the outskirts of the camp. 2  When the people cried out to Moses, he prayed to the LORD and the fire died down. 3  So that place was called Taberah, because fire from the LORD had burned among them. 4  The rabble with them began to crave other food, and again the Israelites started wailing and said, "If only we had meat to eat!

Philippians 2:5 (NIV)  Your attitude should be the same as 
    that of Christ Jesus:…

Philippians 2:14-15 (NIV) 14  Do everything without complaining or arguing, 15  so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe

1 Peter 4:9 (NIV)  Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling.

James 4:1-3 (NIV) 1  What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don't they come from your desires that battle within you? 2  You want something but don't get it. You kill and covet, but you cannot have what you want. You quarrel and fight. You do not have, because you do not ask God. 3  When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.

PRAYER:  Father, lead me to a true and deep contentment that will serve as a barrier to complaining. Deliver me from a spirit of grumbling and fill me with the joy of the Lord. In Christ’s name, AMEN.”

Jesus Christ is Lord!  

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment