Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Love Without Condition

            I watched a replay of Super Bowl LIX last week. The NFL Network version was shortened (for airtime), but the result was still the same: sweet to a Patriots fan and bitter to a Seahawks fan. The NFL Network’s version was enhanced with many real-time sounds of the game, including words spoken by players and coaches. I expected some pretty raw conversation, and was glad that certain language was bleeped out. But I also heard some things I was not expecting. I was struck by the volume and sincerity of expressions of love between grown men. The Patriots’ players and coaches were freely and loudly – with no embarrassment or holding back – telling each other, “I love you.”, or “I love you, man!”… and other expressions of appreciation and affection. I guess I had never connected those kinds of expressions with football players or even the game of football, though I certainly understand how being close for a period of months and working together toward a common goal could bond a group of men to one another.

            Recently I read the blog of a former football player, Derwin Gray. He was writing about leadership and he wrote these words: “During my NFL days, after a win some of my coaches would hug me and tell me that they loved me. But after a loss, some of them wouldn’t even talk to me. I remember after a game that I didn’t play so well in, one of my coaches walked up to me and looked at me with disgust and disdain, then just walked off. This incident tightened my grip of faith in Jesus and loosened the grip of my idolatry of playing in the NFL.”

            Gray’s remarks remind me of the glory of grace. If the Patriots had lost, I’m not so sure there would have been such a free flow of love. There probably would have been some anger, frustration, and even resentment toward any players or coaches who may have made mistakes that could have been seen as costing them the game. Perhaps a consoling kind of love would have been shared by some, but I’m quite sure that what I observed – an ebullient, vocalized outflow of enthusiastic affection – would have been highly unlikely. As I think about Gray’s experience I think about the beauty of God’s grace. When men turn away from us, Christ turns toward us. When men reject us, Christ reaches out to us. When men think we deserve scorn or punishment, Christ responds to our need with His forgiveness and mercy, and He makes us fellow-heirs with Himself. When our efforts fall short – which they always do – Christ steps in and grants us His righteousness. It isn’t about whether we are winners or losers in the world’s eyes. His love is powerfully and abundantly directed toward us, in spite of our weaknesses and failures.

            This kind of grace is awesome, and draws out from us a deep love for Him. He is worthy of our thanksgiving and praise. To God be the glory.

John 8:10-11 (NIV) 10  Jesus straightened up and asked her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?" 11  "No one, sir," she said. "Then neither do I condemn you," Jesus declared. "Go now and leave your life of sin."

Romans 8:1 (NIV)  Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus,

2 Corinthians 5:17 (NIV)  Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!

Romans 5:8-9 (NIV) 8  But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. 9  Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God's wrath through him!

John 6:37 (KJV)  All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

PRAYER:  Father, thank you that in my sin, failure, and weakness, Jesus has redeemed me. His words and actions of love have saved me and given me new life. Thank you for love that is not conditional on my performance. Thank you for receiving me. In Christ’s name, AMEN.”

Jesus Christ is Lord!  

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment