Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Thirsty for God

            On Sunday we sang an older chorus called “As the Deer”. It is based on Psalm 42, where a deer is depicted as panting for streams of water. The picture in my mind is of the animal – perhaps having been chased and having made a great effort to elude being captured and killed by a predatory animal – finding rest and peace and a place by a stream to drink deeply and have its deep thirst quenched.

            Yesterday I took some time for a ride in the park. On the road below Cadillac on the way to Bubble Pond there is a stream cascading down the hillside. I like to stop there for a few minutes if I ride that way. Usually I bypass it this time of year because it is typically dried out. But with the recent rains it was flowing fairly well. We live in a state – and a part of that state – that is incredibly blessed with water resources (spring-fed ponds, lakes, brooks and streams, etc.). It’s easy (for me, anyway) to take all that for granted. When I turn on any faucet, I expect clean, useful water to come out. If I were a city slicker I’d probably think that the water came from the faucet. With the faucet I’m used to my demands instantly being met every time. Reports of droughts and lands where water is scarce all the time often lead me to give thanks for where I live. Where water is abundant there is little fear of thirst: certainly not a prolonged thirst. But a prolonged thirst was probably the experience of the deer in Psalm 42. It certainly was the experience of the psalmist with regard to God.

            At our East Association Good Friday service this year Scott Conners painted a vivid picture of thirst by talking about the blueberry season in downeast Maine. That’s actually right now. The thirst developed over a full day working hard in the hot sun could almost be “tasted” as he explored Jesus’ words on the cross, “I thirst.” I wonder of how much of Jesus’ thirst was non-physical and just reflected a longing for the Father Himself. The psalmist writing Psalm 42 wasn’t primarily interested in painting a beautiful pastoral scene with words. He wanted to describe the human condition, and he goes on to speak of how thirsty the soul can be for God, especially in the valleys of human experience: sorrow, ridicule, discouragement, feeling forgotten by God, mourning, pain, depression, fear.

            The valleys of human experience are not fun. Personally, I much prefer the mountaintops – the places and times of victory and joy and closeness to God. But typically there’s no water on the mountaintops: one reason you can’t stay there. Water runs away from the mountaintops and eventually into valleys. It’s in the valleys where you really need it. Of course, these allegorical thoughts aren’t perfect in their application, but I believe when we are like the deer – all burned out, exhausted, drained, harassed, and pursued by life’s hardships – that we find refreshment for our souls in the valley, not after “getting out” of it. And when we are there we realize a deep thirst for God. We are tempted to quench the thirst with what the world offers, and sometimes that’s what we try to do. But it never works. It leaves us wanting. It leaves us unfilled. It leaves us still in our need… until we come to Jesus, the Good Shepherd. And, to mix metaphors and psalms, He leads us beside still waters and restores our soul. God sends the water – via gravity – to the valleys. And spiritually it’s there, where our thirst for Him grows in intensity, we find His provision. And what we’re looking for, and needing, and wanting more than anything else, is just Him. Our thirst is for Him. And any time you are thirsty for Him you can express that need and find Him. He will give you rest. He will meet the need. He will satisfy the soul.

Psalm 42:1-6 (NIV) - 1 As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. 2  My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God? 3  My tears have been my food day and night, while men say to me all day long, "Where is your God?" 4  These things I remember as I pour out my soul: how I used to go with the multitude, leading the procession to the house of God, with shouts of joy and thanksgiving among the festive throng. 5  Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and 6  my God. My soul is downcast within me; therefore I will remember you from the land of the Jordan, the heights of Hermon--from Mount Mizar.

Psalm 36:7-9 (NIV) 7  How priceless is your unfailing love! Both high and low among men find refuge in the shadow of your wings. 8  They feast on the abundance of your house; you give them drink from your river of delights. 9  For with you is the fountain of life; in your light we see light.

PRAYER:  “Satisfy my deepest longings, O Lord, and let me look to no one or nothing else to do so. Thank You for restoring my soul in the valleys of life. I wait on You. I hope in You. Deliver me from thinking that the world has my answers, or that it can meet my needs. I love You. In Christ’s name I pray, AMEN.”

Jesus Christ is Lord!
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment