Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Now That's An Idea!

            I just finished eating one of Joanne’s sticky buns – just after it came out of the oven. And this is the second day in a row that I have done so. You might wonder if I’m confessing, or bragging, or something else. The simple truth is that we have company. And when we have company, Joanne cooks. And I get to eat. I also get sticky buns on Easter Sunday and maybe once in a great while the rest of the year. I can live without sticky buns, and I do. But I also enjoy them from time to time. Any more often than that and I get tired of them, believe it or not, just like I get tired of lobster or any other food that I enjoy.

            For years we have joked around in our family that Joanne should open a shop to sell sticky buns. “Oh yeah… that’s a great idea!” It could be successful. Most people who try them like them. Have you ever had a “great” idea for a product or a business or some kind of endeavor that would be wildly prosperous and make you a million dollars? How far did you go with it?

            All ideas – even great ones – sooner or later run headlong into reality. This reality typically involves hard work, various complications, unforeseen challenges and details, laws and regulations, costs relating to money, time, energy… a whole dose of reality. This is not to say that ideas never come to be. Hard work, timing, support from others, and other factors enter into success for some. But many ideas never make it. This past Sunday I mentioned in my sermon the “Museum of Failed Products” in Ann Arbor, Michigan. It’s a place full of “ideas” that were marketed with high hopes, but the products failed. The museum is proof of just how common failure is. I guess you could commend the people behind them for trying, but trying and succeeding are two different things.

            In church ministry and ministry to my family over the years I have had many ideas. Some have succeeded. God has blessed. Many never got anywhere, though. Why is that? In some cases I was not able to create a vision. At times I did a poor job of motivating people. Then there were times when I gave up… I didn’t stick with it. Sometimes the ideas were just not very good ones. As a pastor, many ideas come across my desk, to my email inbox, in conversations, and out of my own mind. I have to pray about and evaluate each idea as to whether it should be passed on to others in the church for consideration and implementation.

            With every ministry possibility – and there are thousands of things we “could” do – comes a need to count the cost. The financial resources are necessary, as is strong, dedicated, trained leadership (“make it happen” kinds of people). We have to be on track with the Lord’s will. We have to be patient and dedicated to an idea for ministry. And we should not give up. Success is doing what God made us to do. And the “success” of seeing an idea for ministry become a reality involves much prayer, steadfast faith, surrender to and humility before God, willingness to do what needs to be done, openness to training and help, flexibility with others, perseverance, hard work, personal sacrifice, holding a long view, good communication, a teachable spirit, a willingness to be equipped, and an absolute, unequivocal dependence on the Lord.

            A youth ministry this coming year at FBC: that’s a good idea! New outreach ministries that touch people’s lives: that’s a good idea! A ministry that serves those in need: that’s a good idea! Certain changes in our building to facilitate ministry: that’s a good idea!

            What are you thinking about for serving the Lord in the year ahead? Now, that’s an idea!

Psalm 127:1 (NIV) - 1  Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Unless the LORD watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain.

Galatians 6:9-10 (NIV) - 9  Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. 10  Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.

PRAYER:  “Lord, You do all things well. And You are doing that in and with my life. Whatever the ideas in me and in my church that You want to bring to reality, let me be ready, willing, and able to say “Yes!” to You, in every way You would call me. I will be faithful. Success will come from You. Thank You. In Christ’s name I pray, AMEN.”

Jesus Christ is Lord!
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment