Tuesday, July 9, 2013

All the Way

           During our vacation we spent a day in Boston and took in half a Red Sox game. We intended to see the whole game, but it began to rain so hard that the game had to be delayed. We later learned that it turned into a three hour delay. We left after waiting about an hour. We enjoyed what we saw, but would much rather have seen a whole game – especially since that was what we paid for.

            A little boy had been playing outside on a hot day. When he came inside he asked his mother for a drink of water saying, “I’m really thirsty, Mom!” When she brought him a half a glass of water, the look of disappointment was obvious on his face. “Mom, I’m big enough now. You can trust me with a full glass. I want a whole glass.”

            About 60 minutes into the movie the screen went black and the sound died – “just” when it was getting interesting. The moviegoers had been drawn in… the story was engrossing… the questions in their minds about how it would end were flashing through their minds.

            There are times when half way just doesn’t do it in our lives. When you plan a trip you want to reach your destination. A breakdown, or any other cause that keeps you from getting all the way you want to be, is just not acceptable. I don’t want to be stranded in some out of the way airport. I want to be where I planned. I don’t want to finish the hike halfway up the mountain. I don’t want to hear just half a song. I’d like to finish the pregnancy and deliver my child (or see my wife do so).

            So many times in life… halfway just doesn’t “cut it”. On June 30, those of us who are reading through the Bible in a year made it to the halfway point. Just think of what we’ll miss if we end there. No, we want more than just the first half. We want the whole thing. We want to stay on track and finish the course. So we keep going… onward day by day through the whole text of Scripture.

            God doesn’t do things “halfway”. He always finishes His plans. He brings His works to completion, and that includes those of us in Christ. It includes His purposes for His Church. And it includes His intentions toward us. He never loves us halfway. He doesn’t give us “half” gifts. He doesn’t give us half the peace He could, half the joy He could. He gives in full measure and He knows (and only He knows) when the job is done. God will never shortchange you and me of anything. He is always fully sufficient in every need.

Philippians 1:3-6 (NIV) - 3  I thank my God every time I remember you. 4  In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy 5  because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, 6  being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

Ephesians 3:16-19 (NIV) 16  I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17  so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18  may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19  and to know this love that surpasses knowledge--that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

Ephesians 4:12-15 (NIV) 12  to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up 13  until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ. 14  Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming. 15  Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ.

PRAYER: “Thank You, Father, that You supply to me all I need out of Your riches in glory. Whether it be material, spiritual, physical, or emotional, You are generous and full in Your blessing. Help me to see that what You supply will always be enough, and that I never need to feel like You’ve “let me down”. Teach me contentment and show me how to live by faith, truly trusting You moment by moment. Thank You for giving me the full measure of Your love.  In Jesus’ name I pray, AMEN.”

Jesus Christ is Lord!
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment