Tuesday, July 2, 2013

O Be Careful Little Tongue What You Say

           One of the big news stories while I was away in the last two weeks is what we might call the “fall” of Paula Deen. Ms. Deen is a cook, an entertainer, a restaurateur, an author, and a popular television personality. She’s from Savannah, Georgia, and has become a very wealthy and successful businesswoman and celebrity. I do not watch her programs or own any of her cookbooks and I don’t know all that much about her personally. Probably the closest I’ve come to her is that I once ate at “Bubba’s” in Savannah, which I think is her brother’s restaurant.

            Anyway, you are probably well aware that virtually all of her corporate sponsors, the Food Network, her publisher, and others have virtually disowned her because of her admission to the use of the racial epithet “nigger” earlier in her life. My purpose in writing about her today is not to support her or to condemn her. My thoughts are not so much about her as the response to her. I believe the use of this term is wrong and that its use can be a sign of racially motivated hate. I do not use the term and would discourage everyone I know from using it, whether in some self-styled “humorous” fashion or in a serious way. I don’t mean to excuse her for using it and I don’t believe its use should be condoned. It’s a very hurtful word.

            From my perspective, however, what she has experienced in the last two weeks seems to be a case of the punishment not fitting the crime. I believe our culture is extremely hypocritical when it responds so violently and harshly to her while condoning and even applauding many things which I believe to be equally wrong or even so much worse. Our culture regularly and unashamedly, for example, misuses the name of the Lord Jesus and the name of God the Father. I heard one critic carelessly and harshly swear using the Lord’s name while he was actually condemning Paula Deen for what she said. And I thought, “He doesn’t even realize it, but what he just did is far worse… it’s far more serious than what she did.” What she did is serious, but to use the Lord’s name in vain is to sin grievously against the creating, all-powerful, holy and righteous God. Yet people trample His name constantly in conversation. They use His name to curse and they blaspheme it as a profanity. They use His name frivolously, as if it didn’t matter… and nobody responds with shock. Nobody gets upset. Nobody applies social and economic consequences. Nobody judges. Nobody really cares. Yet the spiritual consequences (especially the eternal ones) are so grave. We know from the Scriptures that Jesus said that every human being will be called to account for every careless word (Matthew 12:36). I believe this ought to have an impact on our speech. We are called to love God, not to treat His name like trash. When you love someone you speak well of them. You use their name with care. So love should guide our speech “vertically” (with regard to God) and “horizontally” (with regard to our fellow man). Certainly we need Christ to be Lord of our lips and to help us speak wisely and helpfully and in ways that honor God.

            One of the joys of being His follower is receiving His forgiveness for my failings of my tongue. Though her fans may support her, it seems like no one else will forgive Paula Deen for her verbal sins. No matter how loud and long she proclaims her regret, remorse, and sorrow, she’s been “thrown under the bus” by many. Of course, only God can see her heart and know if her sorrow is godly and genuine. I’m glad our God is forgiving and will show us mercy when we are sincere in our repentance. (Psalm 86:5 (NASB) - “For You, Lord, are good, and ready to forgive, And abundant in lovingkindness to all who call upon You.” Thank You, Lord!

Exodus 20:7 (NIV) 7  "You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name.

Exodus 20:7 (NASB) 7  "You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not leave him unpunished who takes His name in vain.

Matthew 6:9 (NASB) 9  "Pray, then, in this way: 'Our Father who is in heaven, Hallowed be Your name.

Matthew 12:35-37 (NASB) 35  "The good man brings out of his good treasure what is good; and the evil man brings out of his evil treasure what is evil. 36  "But I tell you that every careless word that people speak, they shall give an accounting for it in the day of judgment. 37  "For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."  

PRAYER: “Father, let Your Spirit convict me when I use Your name without thinking, or even in a harsh, improper way. Help me to comprehend the danger of such speech. Lead me to know the fear of the Lord, which is where wisdom begins, and by which I may understand my offense and know to come to You to seek Your mercy, forgiveness, and grace. Thank You that Jesus shed His very lifeblood for the careless speech of people and for the ill-treatment of Your name. Please cleanse me and help me to submit my tongue and my heart to You  In Jesus’ name I pray, AMEN.”

Jesus Christ is Lord!
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment