Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Staying on Your Feet

            During a vacation week I took in August I spent an afternoon tearing apart a treehouse I had built with Connor many years ago. It had fallen into disuse. Much of the wood had rotted. I was concerned that it might be a temptation to kids in the area who might “help themselves” to checking it out. Some of the pieces came off easily. Others, where large spikes or bolts were used, were much more stubborn. The treehouse was quite high so I had to be very careful each time a board came off. I didn’t feel like going down with it. But all went well, and some of the wood has already served to be useful in campfires. That’s about all it is worth right now.

            When I finished, I thought the tree looked good without the manmade stuff attached to it, and it felt good to get that job out of the way. One feeling that I did not expect to be so strong was a certain kind of sadness. My son is not a little boy any more. We don’t share things in life in the same way we did when he was young. As he moves now in his life toward being nudged out of the “nest”, I can feel a wave of the passing of time. These “waves” aren’t something that I feel constantly. But from time to time one hits strongly and something in your family or life shifts. You feel that wave bump up against you and you realize just how different things have become. It is one of those things that comes with the days and years moving along.

            I remember going to Popham Beach with my mom when I was a kid. Those were great times. When I stepped in the ocean the first time I was picked up and turned upside-down by a wave. Water got into my mouth and nose and I started to sputter and cough. I couldn’t believe how salty it tasted. I learned quickly that when the waves came I needed to set and secure my feet and legs on the bottom underneath me and stand firm so that the wave would not topple me. I learned that I had to watch out for sand moving under my feet.

            When a wave of the passing of time hits me it can be emotional, but I do not have to topple. Since I am planted in Christ, I know and expect that waves of time or any other kind may come, and may even be large and have quite a lot of power. But I also know if I am planted firmly in Christ the wave will break on me or near me, and then fall away. But it will not move me. I can do all things through Christ, who gives me strength (Philippians 4:13). The words of Edward Mote comfort me:
      My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus’ blood and righteousness;
      I dare not trust the sweetest frame, but wholly lean on Jesus’ name.
      On Christ the solid Rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand. 
      All other ground is sinking sand.
      When darkness veils His lovely face, I rest on His unchanging grace;
      In every high and stormy gale, my anchor holds within the veil.
      On Christ the solid Rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand. 
      All other ground is sinking sand.
      His oath, His covenant, His blood, support me in the whelming flood;
      When all around my soul gives way, He then is all my hope and stay.
      On Christ the solid Rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand. 
      All other ground is sinking sand.

            Whatever wave may be heading your way, know that in Christ you are secure. AMEN!

Matthew 7:24-27 (NIV) 24  "Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25  The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26  But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27  The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash."

Psalm 18:2 (NIV)  The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

PRAYER:  Father, help me not to fear any wave of adversity, emotion or trouble. But rather, let me trust you fully to hold me secure in the hand of your protection. Thank you for both the strength and gentleness of your grip.  In Jesus’ name, AMEN.”

Jesus Christ is Lord!  

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment