Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Read Receipt Requested

            Though I use it extensively, I believe that email is a highly limited form of communication. It is a good way to get information out to one, some, or many people all at once. I like that feature of electronic communication very much. What I don’t like is that email in no way measures up to face-to-face communication. You cannot depend on it to communicate everything that’s on your mind or at your feeling level. In my experience a lot of miscommunication happens through email. We don’t get to hear tone of voice or see facial expression or body language. Conflict, for example, is especially difficult to deal with if face-to-face communication is absent.

            But aside from all that is whether or not what I write in my Check-In is even read. When I write out and send my thoughts each week I do so with the assumption that what I send is received, read, thought about, and responded to where appropriate. In other words, what I write right now I expect or believe everyone will read, and will do so in a timely fashion. That’s why I usually include a few reminders. However, I have no proof or guarantee that anyone will read it, because I am removed physically from the daily life of the recipients. I do ask Joanne each week if she read my check-in, but I don’t ask anyone else. And people are under no obligation to read it. It is not “required reading”. I do not add a “Request a Read Receipt”. I don’t usually like to get those in emails I receive, so I typically avoid them when sending emails. I do receive feedback from time to time, and that is always nice. But I’m not looking for that or depending on it. I’m not fishing for it in any way. My simple hope is that people who do receive will read. It’s the same hope and expectation you have when you send a letter or an email. Imagine how Forrest Gump must have felt when all his letters sent from Vietnam to his beloved “Jenny”- containing his experiences and feelings - were returned to him in a bundle, unopened by her (probably never even seen) and never read.

            As I think about these things, I know that God has sent and given His Word. He sends the living Word – Jesus His Son. And He also sends His written Word. I believe God sends His written Word to me expecting it to be read. He desires for me to read His Word, understand its meaning, apply it to my life, and respond with trust and obedience. The Bible tells us that God always gives His Word for a purpose – that He has something intended to accomplish in the lives of people. Is the Bible a book that you and I enjoy opening up and reading? Do we desire to hear from our Father and know His heart? Legalistic Bible reading is pretty useless. But a son or a daughter eagerly receiving and devouring the latest letter or email from his/her father is a better picture of what reading the Bible can be for us. Reading the Word should never be a chore. The discipline of it can be helpful, but without the personal perspective of wanting to know our “Daddy” (Abba) better and draw into His heart, it will always be dry and difficult. I pray that in each of our lives God’s Word will be a true fountain of life, received with joy, and strengthening to our souls.

Isaiah 55:10-11 (NIV) 10  As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, 11  so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.

Job 23:12 (NIV)  I have not departed from the commands of his lips; I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my daily bread.

Matthew 4:4 (NIV)  Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"

Joshua 1:8 (NIV)  Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.

Psalm 19:11 (NIV)  By them is your servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward.

Luke 11:28 (NIV)  He replied, "Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it."

John 17:17 (NIV)  Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth.

PRAYER:  Father, I love your Word. May I love it more, as I enter into your very presence every time I read it. May your Word guide my thought life, the words I choose and use, the feelings I process each day, and the steps I take in the daily actions of living. Your Word is life. Thank you for it.  In Jesus’ name, AMEN.”

Jesus Christ is Lord!  

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment