Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Foul Weather Faith

            We were blessed with wonderful weather in downeast Maine for most of the month of August. I have been thinking it was almost too good to be true. Too much good weather is almost “dangerous” to me, because I could easily come to assume that it will always be that way, or even that it should be that way. Not really “dangerous” per se, but tempting to want and expect all the time. In reality it would be foolish to make such an assumption and anyone who lives here knows better. We don’t know what a day or a week or a season may bring weather-wise. We cannot control it.

            On Sunday as I preached from Matthew 5:10-12, I made the statement that persecution is part of the “normal” Christian life. Historically every generation in the history of Christianity has had its share of opposition and trouble because of faith in and love for Jesus. Many of us in the West, however, have lived for years under “fair” conditions of “acceptance” and even some degree of admiration. Things are changing, though, in the atmosphere of politics, education, and everyday social life. This has lead us to feel surprised, dismayed, or fearful when we encounter even mild forms of opposition. We have come to assume that no persecution or hardship should be the norm. But as we read the New Testament we should know better. Jesus’ word about what His followers would face is the word we should heed, and by His grace look for and receive His help in times of trouble when people react negatively to Jesus and our love for Him.

            Christians through the centuries have loved Jesus more than they have loved their lives. What a legacy for us and what an encouragement! While talk of opposition to Jesus and any form of persecution seems a little dramatic in our lives, our times are changing. While I am not eager for what the Bible declares to be normal for those who love Jesus, I am eager for all the promises of Scripture for grace to meet and exceed every need. I am eager for a closer walk with Jesus. I am eager for a deeper love and a stronger faith. I am eager for a passionate dependency on the Lord. And guess what? People who experience opposition for their faith in Jesus tend to have all these. I know this: Jesus will always be not only sufficient, but His presence, power, and grace will exceed the need in every difficulty we may face. He is an awesome Savior, Lord, and Friend.

Matthew 5:10-12 (NIV)  Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.  "Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me.  Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

2 Timothy 3:10-14 (NIV)  You, however, know all about my teaching, my way of life, my purpose, faith, patience, love, endurance,  persecutions, sufferings--what kinds of things happened to me in Antioch, Iconium and Lystra, the persecutions I endured. Yet the Lord rescued me from all of them.  In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, while evil men and impostors will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived.  But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it,

 PRAYER:  Father, though in my flesh I have no desire to be on the receiving end of persecution of any kind, I pray that my faith will always be strong even when - especially when - I face opposition. Without you I can do nothing, and it will be only your grace that sustains me. Please sustain your people around the world who are suffering right now because of their love for you. In Jesus’ name, AMEN.”

Jesus Christ is Lord!  

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment