Tuesday, May 27, 2014

The Opposite of Fear

           If there is one thing in our world that is not in short supply, it is fear. This powerful emotion confronts every human being in different ways, at different times, and with different results. Whatever its cause in each person’s life, fear has the potential to paralyze or to energize. My cousin’s daughter recently posted the following saying on Facebook: “FEAR has two meanings: ‘Face Everything And Run’ or “Face Everything And Rise’ – the choice is yours.” I’m sure she has been challenged by fears of many kinds, because her first child was born with serious health problems and has been faced with many challenges since. Our lives have no guarantees, and many things can happen over which we have no control.

            I recently underwent a short period of fear in my life. Though it did not last long, it was intense. I could not focus or concentrate on anything else, I was distracted, I was afraid of what I knew and, quite frankly, terrified of what I did not know. I had encountered a situation that began to overwhelm me with worry about an uncounted number of unknown, negative possibilities. I could see no positive endpoints. Have you ever been overwhelmed by some future unknown or by something that you could not change, fix, or impact?

We live in a dangerous world: filled with murder rampages, tornadoes, wildfires, plane crashes… we could make a large list, couldn’t we? Along with all these “dangerous” circumstances is a media and worldwide communications system that pump up all the information and, in many ways, feed the fear. It causes us to think the world and the people in it are totally out of control and that, sooner or later, it’s going to “get” us. “Some way… some how… some day… some thing is going to happen to us! We won’t be able to stop it! We won’t be able to control it! We won’t be able to fix it! We won’t be able to do anything.”

            In a world where the potential for fear is great, what would you say our best response should be? Should we run and hide (flight)? Should we go on the offensive (fight)? Many in the world would suggest that courage is the opposite of fear. And there is a sense that that is true. But I don’t think it’s ultimately right. The true opposite of fear is faith. Fear attacks our trust in God. Fear seeks to convince us that God is not in control. It tries to persuade us that there is some unknown over which God has no jurisdiction. Here is the key question: If Jesus Christ is Lord, what have I to fear?

            In the deepest part of the fear that was attacking me, the Holy Spirit reminded me of these things: “Your fear is unnecessary in a universe where God is in control. The ‘unknown’ things you are worrying about are not unknown to God. Where is your faith? Do you really think that anything can happen apart from the Father’s will or away from His oversight?” This “conversation” I had in prayer was a critical turning point. There was so much comfort and encouragement in the Scripture – where so often the message from God is “Fear not, for I…”. And I realized, “That’s all I need to know.”

            This experience was important for me, because I am a preacher of the Word of God. Either the words are real – with real power – or I am a hypocrite – telling others things like “Don’t be afraid!” when I myself have not been changed and guided by those words myself. I’m very thankful for the reassuring ministry of the Holy Spirit in the middle of that dark place. When He applies the Word of God to our lives, it is powerful.

            While we may need courage in the days ahead, I pray most of all that God would give us faith, because that is the true answer to any fear – large or small – which may attack.

Psalm 23:4 (NIV) 4  Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

John 14:27 (NIV) 27  Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

Deuteronomy 31:6-8 (KJV) 6  Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee. 7  And Moses called unto Joshua, and said unto him in the sight of all Israel, Be strong and of a good courage: for thou must go with this people unto the land which the LORD hath sworn unto their fathers to give them; and thou shalt cause them to inherit it. 8  And the LORD, he it is that doth go before thee; he will be with thee, he will not fail thee, neither forsake thee: fear not, neither be dismayed.

Mark 4:35-41 (NIV) 35  That day when evening came, he said to his disciples, "Let us go over to the other side."
36  Leaving the crowd behind, they took him along, just as he was, in the boat. There were also other boats with him. 37  A furious squall came up, and the waves broke over the boat, so that it was nearly swamped.
38  Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him and said to him, "Teacher, don't you care if we drown?" 39  He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, "Quiet! Be still!" Then the wind died down and it was completely calm. 40  He said to his disciples, "Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?" 41  They were terrified and asked each other, "Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!"

Psalm 56:3-4 (NIV) 3  When I am afraid, I will trust in you. 4  In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?

PRAYER:  Father, when I am afraid, lead me to trust in you. Increase my faith. Point me to your eternal Word where I can find assurance and confidence that you rule and reign, and that not even the smallest detail escapes your jurisdiction and oversight. Let me rest in you and may I not give fear a foothold. Thank you. In Jesus’ name, AMEN.”

Jesus Christ is Lord!  
Scott
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment