Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Just Words?

           Sooner or later every Christian faces circumstances which call out the question, “Is what you believe just words… or is it real?” During the smooth times… the easy, trouble-free times… matters of faith seem to come a little easier. But when confronted by the crucible of grief, fear, and uncertainty, where does our faith go? The tests of life will “prove” us, like fire refines metal. When we started our study of James on Thursday nights, James “clobbered” us with these words… “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.” (James 1:2-4)

            My first reaction to the trial of my faith is… “I don’t want this! I don’t want to have to deal with this now. I want to run away and hide from it. I don’t think I can take it.” My first reaction is fear, not joy. I can easily get caught up rehearsing over and over again in my mind every possible bad thing that can/might happen. This kind of fear can be paralyzing. And when you’re in the middle of it, you may ask… “Is what I believe just words, or is it real?”

            I thank the Lord that His Word is alive and powerful, and “sharp” enough to pierce and reach the deepest part of my need… that His Word is not “just” words, and they have power: power that I need. Here are a few Scriptures that are helpful to me. On the one hand they look like just words. But these are God’s words, a gift and encouragement to us from the Holy Spirit. They remind me of the reality of God’s love, grace, and mercy, and I can – and will – trust Him. He is my help and my salvation. May the Lord be your rock and fortress today, and may He lead you through to joy in your time of need.

Psalm 27:1 (NIV) 1 The LORD is my light and my salvation-- whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life-- of whom shall I be afraid?

Psalm 46:1-5 (NIV) 1 God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. 2  Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, 3  though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging. Selah 4  There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy place where the Most High dwells. 5  God is within her, she will not fall; God will help her at break of day.

Psalm 46:10 (NIV) 10  "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."

Psalm 30:5 (KJV) 5  For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.

Psalm 56:3-4 (NIV) 3  When I am afraid, I will trust in you. 4  In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?

Deuteronomy 31:8 (NIV) 8  The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."

Isaiah 26:3 (KJV) 3  Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.

Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV) 28  "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

PRAYER:  Father, I thank you that knowing you is about so much more than mere words. You stand behind every one of them. They have power and reality because of you. Please give your grace to all who need it today, and, in your time, bring them through to joy. Thank you that your everlasting arms are underneath me, strong enough to bear me through what I face today or what I may face tomorrow. I love you and I need you. Bless all who are in need today. In Jesus’ name, AMEN.”

Jesus Christ is Lord!  
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment