Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Taking Inventory

           What’s on your list of wonders?

            I was asked this question yesterday and it caused me to stop and think, “My what? I don’t know that I really have a list of wonders.” And I don’t. At least not on paper anywhere that I know of. But actually I do. I think every Christian has one. I just haven’t taken time to “take inventory”. As a teenager I worked in a grocery store about the size of the Trenton Marketplace. At least once a year every employee had to show up to help with inventory. This involved “counting” every item in the store: from the shelves to everything in the stockroom. An inventory is “a detailed list of articles, goods, property, etc.” which helps the store owner to understand the value of what he has at any given time.

            Have you ever taken inventory of God’s wonders? This involves taking some time to make a list of the wondrous things in God’s world that you have personally observed. It also includes thinking about the wondrous things God has done for you in your own life. David took inventory of God’s wonders in Psalm 8: “O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth… When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place…” In 1885, Carl Boberg paraphrased these words into his hymn, O Store Gud (Our Great God), now known to us as How Great Thou Art. His lyrics include the phrase… “when I in awesome wonder consider all the worlds Thy hands have made…”

            To “consider” is to stop and take inventory.  It means to reflect on, contemplate, or ponder. What’s on your list of wonders? Don’t have one? Haven’t thought much about it? It’s not because the wonders aren’t there. You just need to take a little time to compose it. Doing this from time to time is a very healthy spiritual discipline. It grounds us. It brings God’s greatness and glory back into focus and re-orients our attitude of thanksgiving to its proper place.

            How do you take inventory of God’s wonders? You can write a list on a piece of paper. You can take turns speaking them around the family dinner table. You can take and save photos of them on your phone or computer. You can meditate on them in a season of prayer. You can play a game with your kids (“Let’s go through the alphabet thinking of words that describe God’s wonders A to Z…”). You can make list of blessings (one for each of the last __ years, months, weeks, days, etc.) God has given you by His grace. You can… be quite creative and come up with other ways. I am going to try to remember to add a page on our church website that we can call “Our List of Wonders” and anyone (especially our own church folks) can submit additions to the list any time. I envision the list will just keep growing and growing, and become a source of encouragement, inspiration, and worship for anyone who checks it out.

            One thing these ideas have in common is that they involve taking some time. Taking inventory – making a list – of wonders takes time. A busy life too often keeps us from making or revisiting such a list as often as we could. But if we are on the lookout, God will easily add new wonders of who He is and what He is doing to our lists (our lives) every day. The hymn, Count Your Blessings, by Johnson Oatman, was first published in 1897. The well-known words call out to us to… “Count your blessings, name them one by one; Count your blessings, see what God hath done; Count your blessings, name them one by one, And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.” Surprise may be one response. But I believe worship is one of the main things a list like this will elicit in our lives. And it is never out of place to worship God, for He is worthy.

            What’s on your list of wonders? Don’t have one? All it takes is one thing to start the list. You will be amazed at how quickly it will grow.
 
Psalm 40:5 (NIV) 5  Many, O LORD my God, are the wonders you have done. The things you planned for us no one can recount to you; were I to speak and tell of them, they would be too many to declare.

Psalm 40:5 (NLT) 5  O LORD my God, you have performed many wonders for us. Your plans for us are too numerous to list. You have no equal. If I tried to recite all your wonderful deeds, I would never come to the end of them.

Psalm 66:16 (NIV) 16  Come and listen, all you who fear God; let me tell you what he has done for me.

Ephesians 3:20-21 (NIV) 20  Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21  to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.

PRAYER:  Father, lead me to encounter and appreciate the many wonders you have performed. Lead me away from a shallow life, lived in ignorance of all that you are and all you have done. What a tragedy it would be for me to miss these things. Open up my heart to fully enjoy these things, and to love you all the more for them. In Jesus’ name, AMEN.”

Jesus Christ is Lord!  
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment