Tuesday, March 6, 2018

The Last Storm


Revelation 21:3-4 (NIV) 3  And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4  He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."

This time of year it is difficult to know when the last snow of the season is going to fall. Weathermen are not perfect. Almanacs are not always right. Punxsatawney Phil isn’t reliable (not to burst anybody’s bubble). My shovels are still on the deck, but I find this time of year tempts me to put them away. A storm – a nor’easter – is being forecast for this week even, so I definitely won’t put the shovels away just yet. But the “feeling” of Spring is in the air, as they say. Temperatures just aren’t as cold as they were. People want to get outside more – especially on sunny days. I know what’s coming and I’m eager for summer and getting out in shorts and a t-shirt: no more layer bundles of clothing to stay warm. But it’s not here yet.

I sometimes wonder when the last “storm” of my life will come and go. I expect to encounter a few more storms before the Lord takes me or returns, but I live day by day in His hands – not knowing what a day will bring, but confident of His kingdom control. Though my mind and my spirit look forward to being with Jesus forever, I am living in a current season of expectancy that also is characterized by the reality of times of physical, mental, and emotional weariness and challenge. As each one comes I do not literally wonder if it will be the “last” storm, but I do know the time will come – as it will for all of us – when we could say, “That was the last storm.”

As we wonder about potential storms to come, isn’t it wonderful to have assurance that winter actually will end, and that summer actually will arrive? Our assurance of heaven is similar. There may be times when that hope is all that keeps us going, but it does give us strength and confidence and reassurance. An eternal season awaits us, in which all hurts will be healed, all pain forgotten, and all sin will be nothing but history. The last storm of our life will be behind us. God will be with us through it, as He always is, and then we will be with Him, as He has promised us in Christ. May the Lord keep you in perfect peace, as your heart and mind is stayed upon Him (Isaiah 26:3).

John 14:1-4 (NIV) 1  "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. 2  In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. 3  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4  You know the way to the place where I am going."

2 Corinthians 5:1-5 (NIV) 1  Now we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands. 2  Meanwhile we groan, longing to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling, 3  because when we are clothed, we will not be found naked. 4  For while we are in this tent, we groan and are burdened, because we do not wish to be unclothed but to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. 5  Now it is God who has made us for this very purpose and has given us the Spirit as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.

Revelation 22:3-5 (NIV) 3  No longer will there be any curse. The throne of God and of the Lamb will be in the city, and his servants will serve him. 4  They will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads. 5  There will be no more night. They will not need the light of a lamp or the light of the sun, for the Lord God will give them light. And they will reign for ever and ever.

PRAYER:  Lord God, I am looking forward to what is awaiting me in heaven. Above all I look forward to being with Jesus. The timing of the last storm of my life is in your hands. I trust you for both now and for the future. My hope is in you. In Jesus’ name I pray, AMEN.”

Jesus Christ is Lord!   
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment