Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Time is Precious


Psalm 90:12 (NIV)  Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.

As part of a group study I am doing, I engaged in a 48-hour media fast this past week. The purpose was to eliminate all TV watching, radio listening, internet time, emailing, podcast listening, and pretty much most things electronic or digital. I did keep my phone on for calls. I did not look at emails, check on or hear weather forecasts (or any news), or look at Facebook, etc.

You would think that 48 hours of this is not very long. But one thing I found is that I seemed to have a lot more time on my hands: time that I used to start a book that has been sitting in my briefcase for at least a month. I also had a lot of time just to think. I had time when I was not doing work-related activity that I was not used to having. I had more time to pray. I had more time for undistracted conversation with Joanne. I even had time to take a nap both days, something I rarely do. My “new-found” time enabled me to do a little more (work) around the house than I usually do.

All of this made me realize that I actually have more time available to me than I often think I have. It challenged me to be more aware of time wasters that do not serve as the optimal or best use of my hours. I am not sure if I will continue to do such “fasts”. I think if I don’t, then it will be easy to slip back into a less guarded use of my time.

Time is a precious commodity in our lives. Exercises like this one can help us evaluate if we are serving God with our time. The time God provides to us is a gift from Him that can be used for His purposes and glory, or for our own selfish ends. I am reminded of an old rhyme I learned as a child – “Only one life, ’twill soon be past: only what’s done for Christ will last.” Another way to think of this is that time is worship… or not. Another old saying is that “Time is money.” That is one way to look at it. But as a disciple of Jesus saved by God’s grace, I think that understanding time as worship (or not) is a much more powerful – and spiritually healthy – way to think about time.

Here is the question: How does my use of time (even small bits of time) glorify God? I honestly believe that there are times in our lives when taking a nap (or just sleeping more) is the most spiritual thing we can do – so that our bodies are renewed and our service to the Lord is enhanced. Then there are times that too much sleeping is just an expression of laziness, or poor time management (staying up too late, for example). I would never dictate to anyone how to use their hours. But I do know that God knows the difference between hours in my life that honor Him, and hours (or even minutes) that do not.

I am the last person to be a lecturer on this subject. In reality I am just a learner. May we together be intentional about guarding our time and continuing to learn how we may best glorify our Lord in how we use our days. I have noticed as I have grown older that my days seem to pass more quickly. But every day is the same (timewise) and is a great opportunity to experience the abundant life that Jesus gives.

1 Corinthians 7:29-31 (NIV) 29  What I mean, brothers, is that the time is short. From now on those who have wives should live as if they had none; 30  those who mourn, as if they did not; those who are happy, as if they were not; those who buy something, as if it were not theirs to keep; 31  those who use the things of the world, as if not engrossed in them. For this world in its present form is passing away.

Ephesians 5:15-16 (NIV) 15  Be very careful, then, how you live--not as unwise but as wise, 16  making the most of every opportunity (redeeming the time), because the days are evil.

Ecclesiastes 12:1 (NIV)  Remember your Creator in the days of your youth, before the days of trouble come and the years approach when you will say, "I find no pleasure in them"--

PRAYER:  Lord God, let me look at time as your gift. Let me enjoy it and lovingly – not legalistically – use it with you and for your glory, and thus bring honor to your name. Thank you. In Jesus’ name I pray, AMEN.”

Jesus Christ is Lord!   
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment