Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Welcoming Revival

            You cannot command sleep. Yet how many of us have tried! Many a mom has grown weary of telling her child, “Go to sleep now.” And many a dad just as weary of adding, “Go to sleep or else.” Yet we cannot say the word – as if we were hypnotists – and put someone to sleep with just that word. We wish we could. How nice it would be if sleep came with the turning of a switch – especially on those nights when we toss and turn and roll and have our minds filled with racing thoughts. But sleep doesn’t work like that.

            In His book Imagining the Kingdom, James A. K. Smith compares revival to falling asleep. He describes how you can only be its object and not its producer. He writes…
I cannot choose to fall asleep. The best I can do is choose to put myself in a posture and rhythm that welcomes sleep. I lie down in bed, on my left side, with my knees drawn up; I close my eyes and breathe slowly, putting my plans out of my mind. But the power of my will or consciousness stops there. I want to go to sleep, and I've chosen to climb into bed—but in another sense sleep is not something under my control or at my beckoned call. I call up the visitation of sleep by imitating the breathing and posture of a sleeper. There is a moment when sleep "comes" settling on this imitation of itself which I have been offering to it, and I succeed in becoming what I was trying to be. Sleep is a gift to be received, not a decision to be made. And yet it is a gift that requires a posture of reception—a kind of active welcome.”

“A posture and rhythm that welcomes sleep…” In other words, do everything I would do as if I were sleeping (darken the room, make it quiet, lie down on the bed, put my head on a pillow, etc.). Sleep then “happens”if I have created a good environment for it to happen. But it happens – it always happens – quite apart from my command.

What a good analogy for God’s work in revival when He sends His Spirit on us in power. It’s not that we are not looking for Him (though we may, in fact, not be). We are practicing repentance, humbling our hearts, recognizing our brokenness, recognizing it’s about me and not others (not pointing the finger at them, but at myself), softening our hearts, letting God know of our desire for the filling of the Spirit, and spending much time in prayer seeking God’s transforming work in our hearts and minds and attitudes. We are waiting on the Lord patiently and seeking to be faithful day by day. We are doers of the Word and not hearers only. All of these things (and others like them) are ways we put ourselves in the “posture of reception”. We are trusting the sovereignty of God to give grace in the time of His favor.

How else might you put yourself in the posture of reception? Think about your daily words and actions and attitudes. Do they reflect a readiness for revival… for a work of God’s glory and power in your inner being? If you wanted to get into this posture, where would you begin? Would it be to put out of your life a “love” that is competing against your love for Christ? Would it be to find a faithful brother or sister who would help you confess a sin and more openly declare what it has been doing to you? Would it be to fast… to set aside a deeper and more intentional time for prayer? Where would you begin? If you can identify that place, I encourage you to “go there” and do that and wait on the Lord… and continue to wait. I can’t command you to be revived. But I can encourage you “turn out the light” or “pull up the covers”, if you know what I mean.

            Let us seek the Lord and His work in our lives, whether it is in the form of revival or in the everyday-ness of life. Really seek. He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

Psalm 85:1-7 (NIV) 1 You showed favor to your land, O LORD; you restored the fortunes of Jacob. 2  You forgave the iniquity of your people and covered all their sins. Selah 3  You set aside all your wrath and turned from your fierce anger. 4  Restore us again, O God our Savior, and put away your displeasure toward us. 5  Will you be angry with us forever? Will you prolong your anger through all generations? 6  Will you not revive us again, that your people may rejoice in you? 7  Show us your unfailing love, O LORD, and grant us your salvation.

Hosea 10:12 (NIV)  Sow for yourselves righteousness, reap the fruit of unfailing love, and break up your unplowed ground; for it is time to seek the LORD, until he comes and showers righteousness on you.

Jeremiah 29:10-14 (NIV) 10  This is what the LORD says: "When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will come to you and fulfill my gracious promise to bring you back to this place. 11  For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12  Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13  You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. 14  I will be found by you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile."

Hebrews 11:6 (NIV)  And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

PRAYER:  Father, may I live each day in expectancy, with a hunger and thirst for you that delights to anticipate the filling of your Spirit and the revival of my soul. Thank you for such outpourings of your grace. Return me to my first love and restore my passion for you.  In Jesus’ name, AMEN.”

Jesus Christ is Lord!    

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment