Tuesday, September 29, 2015

No Commitment Without Sacrifice 2

            Take a few moments to do a commitment inventory. In other words, think about the people, things, and ideas (values) you are committed to. One definition of commitment is “the state or quality of being dedicated to a cause, activity, etc.”

            Most people would say that they are committed to their husbands, wives, children, girlfriends, boyfriends, and many other types of relationships in their lives. Many people can describe commitment with regard to their jobs or employers or fellow-workers. And through our lives most of us experience commitments like graduating from high school, getting a college degree, someday buying a home, starting a family, and/or serving our community.

            We commit to healthy living, to exercise, to diets, to serving our country, to travel, to various hobbies and personal interests (such as fishing, boating, running, collecting various things, sports teams, music, arts and crafts). We commit to television programs and computer programs (such as Pinterest and FaceBook) electronic games (like X-Box and PlayStation), as well as to pets, family/personal chores, looking good (whatever it takes), and reading. All of us who have played on a team (any sport) or learned to play a musical instrument or saved money in any way have experienced the significance of commitment.

            The number of commitments out there are as many and varied as there are people. The list is huge. How has your commitment inventory grown over time? Some of our commitments are public and well known (think wedding) and some are internal, and quietly personal. All these commitments – regardless of their origin - require a decision on my part. How will I use my time? How will I use my energy? How will I use my money?

            One thing I know: all commitment requires sacrifice. There is no commitment without sacrifice. If you and I are not sacrificing something, then we are not truly committed. You and I make sacrifices for the things/persons/ideas we are committed to.

What does your commitment inventory say about you? What does it say to you? Where does Jesus Christ fit in? Where does His body, the church, fit in? If you say that Christ is at the very top of all you are committed to, does the reality of your life (and how you make sacrifices) reflect that? Can others see that your highest commitment is to Jesus when they look at how you spend your time, energy, and money? Are all of your life’s commitments subject to – or submitted to – Christ? Can you or I be effective followers of Jesus if He is not at the very top… if all of life is not surrendered to Him?

As you can tell, I have lots of questions on my mind. They all started when I took that commitment inventory. It’s really good for me to think about those questions. Jesus asked questions and taught in such a way that caused people to evaluate their commitment to Him. He was not interested in fair-weather fans. He is looking for followers, and there are no true followers (of anyone or anything) who are not committed. And there is no commitment without sacrifice.

John 6:66-69 (NIV) 66  From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him. 67  "You do not want to leave too, do you?" Jesus asked the Twelve. 68  Simon Peter answered him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. 69  We believe and know that you are the Holy One of God."

Mark 8:34-38 (NIV) 34  Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. 35  For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it. 36  What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul? 37  Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul? 38  If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his Father's glory with the holy angels."

John 21:15-17 (NIV) 15  When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?" "Yes, Lord," he said, "you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my lambs." 16  Again Jesus said, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me?" He answered, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Take care of my sheep." 17  The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?" Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?" He said, "Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my sheep.

PRAYER:  Father, lead me to understand my commitments in light of the Gospel and my relationship with you. Give me grace to understand that even more important than commitment is the idea and practice of submission to you and your Word. Thank you for the joy that is in submission to your will and purposes for my life. Fill me with a hunger for you and for your will.  In Jesus’ name, AMEN.”

Jesus Christ is Lord!    

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment