Tuesday, May 5, 2015

What Remains to Be Said?

            Have you said all you need to say… to that person who may be waiting for or needing more from you? I recently used gmail to respond to an email I had received. I am more comfortable using Outlook, but typically competent to use gmail. On this occasion, however, I must have typed something at the wrong time because, before I was ready, I saw that my message had been sent. “Wait… I didn’t want that sent. Why did gmail do that?” I thought. Obviously I mistakenly somehow told it to, but I wasn’t really ready. My message was incomplete, but it went anyway. There was no harm done, though I can envision circumstances where incomplete information – a partial email - could be less than desirable.

            My communication skills can always be improved. What I think I have said is not always what is heard, or understood from what I have written. And I fail frequently on the listening end of the process. I know there are some situations in life where too many words can get in the way. But there are also occasions in relationships where there is unfinished business. For example, how many conversations fall short of containing two very necessary short words: “I’m sorry.”? Or the words “I was wrong.”… or “Please forgive me.”? Yet those may be the very words our loved one is waiting to hear, and we haven’t said all we need to say. “I forgive you”… “I love you”… “I’m responsible”… “It was my fault”… Can you think of others?

We sometimes tell ourselves we don’t need to say “it” – whatever “it” is. We may stubbornly just not want to. We may assume s/he already knows. We may be afraid it won’t be received well. It is a good thing to overcome obstacles like these, by asking ourselves, “Is there anything I need to say today to my wife, husband, children, parents…?” This is a good question to ask ourselves regularly. Reminders are helpful. In his acceptance speech for winning best supporting actor at the Academy Awards, J.K. Simmons said the following: “And if I may, call your mom, everybody. I’ve told this [to], like, a billion people, or so. Call your mom, call your dad. If you’re lucky enough to have a parent or two alive on this planet, call ‘em. Don’t text. Don’t email. Call them on the phone. Tell ‘em you love ‘em, and thank them, and listen to them for as long as they want to talk to you. Thank you. Thank you, Mom and Dad.” I wonder how many people were blessed by that reminder and how many moms and dads had their (next) day brightened.

I understand that there are many things in life that are better off unsaid. James tells us that the tongue is an out-of-control fire and that it can do great damage. We do well to beware of this and to guard our tongues. But the tongue is a great tool for blessing, too. So… if you have more you can say today that can bless another, don’t leave it unsaid. Break through whatever might be holding you back – pride, fear, anger – and go for it. Speak with sincerity and from the heart. Such words will bring joy and encouragement to the hearer.

Ephesians 4:29 (NIV)  Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

Proverbs 12:25 (NIV)  An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up.

Isaiah 50:4 (NIV)  The Sovereign LORD has given me an instructed tongue, to know the word that sustains the weary. He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen like one being taught.

Proverbs 25:11 (NIV)  A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.

PRAYER:  Father, fill my mouth with words that bless and build up, and may I use them freely and be generous in expressing them. Keep me from unfinished business. In Christ’s name, AMEN.”

Jesus Christ is Lord!    

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment