Tuesday, May 19, 2015

God Helps Us Understand His Word

            Recently I needed to buy a new windshield wiper for our car. When my wipers go bad it always seems to be a spot in my driver’s sight line. There’s a streak where the wiper isn’t working properly and the only thing you can do to make it better is replace the wiper. Usually I’ll let it go for a while until I can’t stand it anymore. I usually just go to Walmart and buy one of the cheaper replacement wipers. Assuming I can actually get it on to the wiper arm correctly, it usually works okay. But the cheaper ones don’t typically last that long. On this occasion I decided to lay out for a top line Bosch model. They aren’t cheap, but they are supposed to work amazingly well compared to the $5 no-name brands. I was able – with relative ease - to mount it properly and, feeling very proud of myself, got in to test it. It was horrible. It was streaking worse than the broken one. I thought, “What is up with this?” and began feel a little irritated. When you spend a little more for something you expect a better result. And when you spend a lot more for something, you expect it to dazzle you.

            Joanne is very good at not laughing at me when I do foolish things. And she was good that day. I got out of the car and took a closer look at the wiper. I noticed that its entire edge was whitish in color. That didn’t seem right. Then it dawned on me that the whitish edge was a piece of plastic put on to protect the rubber edge. In other words, a bit of fancy packaging and protection for such a “fine” piece of equipment. I decided to see if it came off. Was it part of the product, or part of the packaging? I didn’t know for sure. You can tell how experienced I am at car stuff. It slid off easily. I placed the wiper back against the window, and returned to the driver’s seat and tested it again. Wow… I really was amazed. Crystal clear… no streaks… all was well in my world again, except that I felt a little foolish. It’s one of those occasions when you hoped no one was around to see you do something that was laughable. Joanne and I had a good laugh and the life of the day resumed.

            When you read the Bible – God’s Word – it is not always crystal clear. There can be passages, phrases, and words that are confusing or hard to understand. But as Christians we have been given the Holy Spirit, and one of the ministries of the Holy Spirit to us is illumination. The doctrine of illumination relates to the ministry of the Holy Spirit that helps the believer understand the truth of Scripture. The Holy Spirit “unveils” our eyes – the eyes of our understanding – to comprehend the things of God. He does this directly as we read the Bible, and also as He leads and gifts those who teach God’s Word to instruct us. He uses things like language and grammar study, as well as spiritually – what we might call miraculously – revealing God’s mind to us. As we humble ourselves… as we seek the Lord wholly and with open hearts and minds… as we ask Him to speak to us, guide and lead us, and teach us His Word, the Holy Spirit does just that. For me, prayer is like removing the plastic covering of the wiper. I confess my sin and put my trust in Him, and I ask for His help. I remove anything in me that might be getting in the way of the Holy Spirit’s work. I am so thankful for the Holy Spirit’s work of illumination, because God’s Word is so very important to know and to apply. Through it I know God. I know of God’s character and nature, of His holiness and His love, along with all that He has done in His world. I know of His Son’s existence, life, death, resurrection, and eternal reign – for sinners like me.

            When you read the Bible, may the Holy Spirit give you understanding and make very clear to you the person and will of God the Father and of Jesus Christ, His Son. And may you and I seek to be doers of that word, and not hearers only.

Psalm 19:7-11 (NIV) 7  The law of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul. The statutes of the LORD are trustworthy, making wise the simple. 8  The precepts of the LORD are right, giving joy to the heart. The commands of the LORD are radiant, giving light to the eyes. 9  The fear of the LORD is pure, enduring forever. The ordinances of the LORD are sure and altogether righteous. 10  They are more precious than gold, than much pure gold; they are sweeter than honey, than honey from the comb. 11  By them is your servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward.

Psalm 119:9-12 (NIV) 9  How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. 10  I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. 11  I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. 12  Praise be to you, O LORD; teach me your decrees.

James 1:22-25 (NIV) 22  Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. 23  Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror 24  and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. 25  But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it--he will be blessed in what he does.

PRAYER:  Lord, open my eyes that I may see, glimpses of truth Thou hast for me. Place in my hands the wonderful key that shall unclasp and set me free. Silently now I wait for Thee, ready my God Thy will to see; Open my eyes, illumine me, Spirit divine. In the name of Jesus, AMEN.”

Jesus Christ is Lord!    

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment