Tuesday, July 8, 2014

The Grace Choice

      It always gets me into trouble. Whenever I hear someone mispronouncing a word or using a wrong version of it… I have this strong urge to correct them. Often I can avoid it in public (unless it is in a debate) because I don’t want to embarrass the person misspeaking. But the urge is still there. And in everyday conversation, I often cannot resist. I have a relative who comes to visit us once in a while. When we are deciding what to do, one possibility that might come up is going to Sand Beach. He insists, however, on referring to it as “Sandy” Beach, even after I’ve pronounced it correctly many times. Rather than correcting him, I’ll reference it more with careful diction in the course of the conversation and emphasize the word sand when I use it. It does no good, however, and then I have to decide whether my annoyance is more important than his incorrectness.

When things like this happen, it’s like I have two voices inside me: one is telling me, “Scott, look, it doesn’t really matter. Just let it go. It’s no big deal. You might embarrass this person, or make them feel bad. Chill out!” The other voice keeps telling me, “You’ll be doing them a favor… actually helping them and keeping others from being confused.” What the second voice says, however, usually has more to do with being right than with helping anybody. After I “listen” for a while to these voices, I decide which to follow. Sometimes it is, “Okay, I won’t say anything” and I move on. At other times it is, “Okay, I won’t say anything.” – but the urge does not go away and I keep wanting to say something. And at other times, still, it is, “I can’t help it, I have to say something.” But when I do, I almost always regret it. I know this all sounds trivial and, for the most part, it is. It’s just an example of how the flesh always wants to take over in everyday situations.

In pastoral ministry I have to speak quite a bit, and I misspeak often. When preaching, I can tell I’ve said something not quite right when people will look funny or murmur a little among themselves. Often I have no idea that I used a wrong word or a wrong form of a word. I may even have to ask. If it is a serious enough breach of speech (such as the opposite of what I really want to say or the wrong name) someone will speak up and correct me. Actually, I am very thankful when people help me out like this. I want to be very sure that people get the right message. Giving a wrong name or a wrong biblical concept needs that kind of correction. For the most part, though, people just tolerate my out-of-place words and Joanne may ask me later in the day, “Did you mean to say…?” or “Did you know you said…?” I am usually clueless… sometimes mortified… but always reminded how the grace afforded to me by others is such a blessing. Knowing the difference between when to speak and when not to speak is a piece of wisdom to be treasured. And grace, I think, is almost always the best choice.

I may be the only person who goes through stuff like this, but deep in my heart I don’t think so. You also may be in need of seeing the “grace choice” in everyday situations and conversations. Are you often challenged by the urge to be right at the risk of hurting another person? If you are like me, you need more grace from the Lord to see and to choose the way of grace with others. May the Lord help us to see this way, and may He guide us by His Spirit to speak to and to interact with others with the gentleness of Christ. AMEN.
                                                                                                          
Colossians 4:6 (NIV) – “Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.”

Ephesians 4:15 (NIV) – “Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ.”

Ephesians 4:29 (NIV) – “Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.”

PRAYER:  Father, guide me to not have to worry about being right in matters of no consequence. Let me be gentle and full of grace. Help me to see and to experience such “small” things as important ways to be like Jesus and to please you. Thanks. In Jesus’ name, AMEN.”

Jesus Christ is Lord!  

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment