Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Water Break

            Something happened at Sunday evening’s World Cup game that has never happened before in the history of the quadrennial sporting event. About 35-40 minutes into the first half of the match between the U.S. and Portugal, the referee stopped the match for a water break. Soccer is a sport that is pretty well known for its “stop-for-nothing” approach to the game. I remember many games in college that were played in horrendous weather conditions in western New York State. I always felt sorry for the three Nigerians on our team whenever we played in snow, sleet, or freezing rain. But I felt sorry for myself as well. There were times when it was nothing short of miserable… but the game always went on.

On Sunday the conditions in Brazil were just the opposite: extremely warm and humid. The humidity at this year’s World Cup has been exceptionally challenging for many teams, especially in towns in or near the Amazon rainforest where some games have been played. Many cramps and pulled muscles are sidelining players and causing concern for coaches. So, at this game – with a court order behind them - the officials invoked a rule that makes it possible to take a short break for water, since the playing conditions made dehydration a serious, even dangerous problem. I assume that the players were appreciative for this break, because they all took advantage of it. In a couple of minutes play resumed and the match went on.

There are conditions in life that make us extremely thirsty, but in a different way. That thirst – or longing – is for God: for His help, for His comfort, or to meet some need (usually desperate) before we are “sidelined” physically, emotionally, or spiritually. Jesus promised living water to the woman at the well. In promising the Holy Spirit to whomever would believe on Him, He described the result as “streams of living water” flowing from within them.

It is wonderful that God invites us to be refreshed in Him… to come to Him freely for an abundant provision of that which will quench our thirst. God is not stingy. He does not hold back. If we are thirsty it is because we hold back from Him. We seek to “quench” our thirst for many things in life by drinking from the world’s fountains. But what the world has to offer cannot meet our deepest needs. It cannot fill the longings of our souls like the presence and friendship of the Lord can. Unfortunately, it can take people (in some cases) a lifetime of running from God and the experience of a great dryness of the soul before they come to the Lord to be “hydrated” in His mercy and blessing. God is very generous to all who come to Him humbly and in sincere faith. If you have a thirst that the world has not been able to meet, take it to the Lord and see what He will do. He will not let you down.

Psalm 23:5 (NIV) 5  You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.

Psalm 42:1-2 (NIV) 1 As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. 2  My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God?

Psalm 107:8-9 (NIV) 8  Let them give thanks to the LORD for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for men, 9  for he satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things.

Psalm 107:35 (NIV) 35  He turned the desert into pools of water and the parched ground into flowing springs;

Isaiah 44:3-4 (NIV) 3  For I will pour water on the thirsty land, and streams on the dry ground; I will pour out my Spirit on your offspring, and my blessing on your descendants. 4  They will spring up like grass in a meadow, like poplar trees by flowing streams.

Isaiah 55:1 (NIV) 1  "Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost.

John 6:35 (NIV) 35  Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty.

John 7:37-39 (NIV) 37  On the last and greatest day of the Feast, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. 38  Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him." 39  By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive. Up to that time the Spirit had not been given, since Jesus had not yet been glorified.

PRAYER:  Father, thank you for the invitation to drink and be filled. In my thirst – whatever it may be – may I always come to you. You alone can quench my deepest longings and meet the needs of my soul. Your provision to me in Jesus is abundant and full. In Him I lack nothing. Thank you for the gift of the Holy Spirit. May His presence flow freely and fully in me. In Jesus’ name, AMEN.”

Jesus Christ is Lord!  
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment