Tuesday, June 10, 2014

A Newbie Needs You

            Are there things in your life that are “easy” now… things that you once were greatly challenged by and found extremely difficult? They’ve become so easy now that you take them for granted. There are some programs on my computer that were very intimidating when I first loaded and used them. Now I skip through them and use them somewhat effortlessly (though I’m sure I could still learn more). I usually do not notice this has happened until I have to explain to someone else how to use the programs. When something has become easy for you, it requires care and patience when you are trying to teach someone else. You cannot assume or expect them to be at the same comfort or experience level as you are. Joanne’s mother was a master when it came to cooking and baking and feeding people. It all looked like it came “easy” to her. Not all of her kids have her gift, though. Those gifts are not automatically duplicated in others. It takes one’s own effort, work, and practice. They too, must learn “from scratch”.

            I think of all the men and women who were patient, gentle, and loving with me when I was a clueless novice. It was a tremendous struggle, for example, when I first took guitar lessons. I feel sorry for my teacher and what he had to put up with. Nothing sounded right. When he played “it”, it sounded so good… so smooth… and it looked so easy. But it wasn’t for me. It took me months to be able to play an “F” chord without getting a buzz or muffled sound from the strings. Today, after years of playing, I can manage somewhat better than those first years of playing. But then I listen to or watch Tommy Emmanuel or some other highly accomplished guitarist and I am amazed at how easy they make it look, and what it would take to get to their playing level. I wonder how patient I would be if I were in the role of teacher to someone just beginning. Would I have what it takes to help them learn, and not focus on their inability?

            Praise God for our Sunday school teachers, our VBS leaders, our youth group leaders, and all the people who helped us find Jesus and grow in Him. In my life they were patient with my “newbie” ways and limited understanding of the things of God. They helped me get into and understand God’s Word, and they led me to know Christ in a personal way that ultimately led to many things that are “easy” now (or should I say, “easier”). At least they may look that way to others. But all of our growth in Christ is all by the Spirit and His power. He must receive the credit for any transformation in us and any abilities we may have. But He used many people to help me, and I’m thankful for each one of them. Every day I am reminded how much deeper, further, and higher there is to go in knowing Christ and walking with Him. The depths of God’s Word will never be fully uncovered by me, or by any one person. The key is to keep going deeper with Jesus. He always has more for the hungry heart.

            When God’s grace has enabled you to grow spiritually, what can you do with that? - Become a teacher, an encourager, a “blesser” of others. Lots of folks feel like “newbies” when it comes to the things of God. Whatever God has given you, and whatever He has done in your life… is ultimately for others. Find a way to share it. Seedlings and sprouts need tender-loving care, however. It’s not “easy” for them. Let us not forget where we ourselves have come from, and how far God has brought us. What person new in Christ could you begin to pray for… could you ask “How are you doing?”… could you offer to help in some way? You do not have to be an “expert” before you can help others.

            May God open our eyes to see that what He has given to us is for our joy, but also for the joy of others.

2 Timothy 2:2 (NIV) 2  And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable men who will also be qualified to teach others.

1 Peter 4:10 (NIV) 10  Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms.

Philippians 1:6-7 (NIV) 6  being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. 7  It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart; for whether I am in chains or defending and confirming the gospel, all of you share in God's grace with me.

PRAYER:  O Lord, you have been so gracious and longsuffering with me. You have brought me to where I am now. And you will lead me further and higher and deeper by your Spirit and through your Word. Use me to encourage and bless others, I pray. Give me patience with people if they are not yet where they could be. Lead me to ever point them to Jesus, who gave himself for them. Thank you for your grace, because all I am and all I have is only by your grace. I love you. In Jesus’ name, AMEN.”

Jesus Christ is Lord!  
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment