Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Delighting in Grace

            Recently I had to have a small health issue taken care of. I was hesitant because I didn’t want to spend the money but it was something I didn’t feel I could overlook. I joke with people that one of the best ways to feel better is to make an appointment, because by the time I see a doctor my symptoms have usually disappeared. So I am a little slow to make appointments. Anyway, I followed through on this one had it looked at. Fortunately, no serious problem was found and I was advised to be careful in the future. When I went to the front desk to pay, my provider said, “No charge!”

            I said, “What… no charge… Are you sure?” The answer came back, “Yes, definitely sure.” I was a little speechless and stammered out, “Well,… why is that?”… to which the response came back, “Because you’re special.” Now, I know better than that. This was an uncalled for, unasked for, unlooked for, undeserved gift that caught me off guard and surprised me. This same thing has happened to me several times in the years I have lived in Bar Harbor – from other providers. The other people around me must have wondered, “Why does he get the special treatment?

            This was a vivid display of grace. It’s similar to the way God’s grace works… unlooked for, unasked for, and undeserved favor given by God… just because He wants to and because it brings Him delight to do so.

            It was easy for me to delight in the words, “No charge… it’s free today!”, in that office. And I couldn’t wait to tell people: first Joanne and then just about anyone else I could find. I wanted to let them know about this great experience I had had earlier in the day. And being able to tell about it increased my delight in it.

            I’ve asked myself since that day, “Shouldn’t you have at least the same kind of delight in God’s grace to you in His Son?” And, “Do you have the same intense desire to tell people about God’s grace to you that you had to tell about the blessing of that day?” Those are really good questions for all of us who have received grace from the Lord. I think it is meant to be delighted in and described with joy to others. After all, how much more has the grace of God worked in my life as my sin debt has been paid in full by Jesus on the cross? Way more than I can even begin to describe! I begin to understand Paul’s exclamation, “Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift!”

            May His grace be your greatest delight! Amen!

2 Corinthians 9:14-15 (NIV) 14  And in their prayers for you their hearts will go out to you, because of the surpassing grace God has given you. 15  Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!

Ephesians 1:4-8 (NIV) 4  For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love 5  he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will-- 6  to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves. 7  In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace 8  that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding.

Ephesians 2:4-8 (NIV) 4  But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, 5  made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions--it is by grace you have been saved. 6  And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, 7  in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. 8  For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--

PRAYER:  Father, thank you for your amazing and wonderful grace to me in Jesus, your Son. Thank you that he paid the debt on the cross that I could not pay, and gave me the free gift of eternal life through his death. Lead me to delight in such grace, that its joys will be freely expressed from my lips. In Jesus’ name, AMEN.”

Jesus Christ is Lord!  
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment