Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Attitude Check

           I noticed yesterday that Mickey Rooney died on Sunday at the age of 93. As a kid he was one of my favorite movie stars. The characters he played were often fully of energy and usually had an attitude. My favorite two characters were Whitey Marsh, the tough kid in Boys Town and Mi Taylor, the reluctantly supportive trainer in National Velvet.

            To say someone (real or fictitious) has an “attitude” usually suggests s/he is walking around with a chip on the shoulder daring others to knock it off, or something along those lines. It’s as if the person is pushing for an argument or some kind of conflict. Has anyone ever said “s/he’s got an attitude” about you? Usually if we have an attitude we are trying to communicate it. We want people to know we’re angry or annoyed or impatient. Kids want their parents to know when they’re unhappy, so they “cop an attitude” that shows in their body language and in their tone of voice. Many of us who have been parents have had the phrase “Don’t give me that attitude, young man (or young woman)” on our lips more than once.

            This week I have decided to spend some time thinking on the state of my attitude. I once observed a mission team leader use a phrase regularly with the teenage members of the team who were in the midst of a tour. Extended travel time together for any group of young people can be stressful, and every now and then he would call out loudly, “Attitude Check!” It would serve as a reminder to team members to remember their commitment to the Lord, to one another, and to the mission. In doing so, the call to serve like Christ would be brought to mind and serve as an encouragement to adjust any attitudes that were not in line with Christ.

            Our attitude is a powerful force in our lives. The World English Dictionary describes attitude in this way: “the way a person views something or tends to behave towards it, often in an evaluative way”. Another definition is: manner, disposition, feeling, position, etc., with regard to a person or thing; tendency or orientation, especially of the mind”. Both of these definitions are describing a thing that I have control over. In other words, my attitude is always subject to my will. Though outside factors may influence it, the state of my attitude in any given situation is fully under my control. One of the external factors which seek to impact my attitude the most is other people: how they act, how they speak, what their own attitudes are, etc. But I can never blame another person for my attitude. My attitude is my own, and it is subject to my will. If I want it to be positive, encouraging, and constructive, it will be. If I want it to be negative, critical, and destructive, it will be. I choose what my attitude will be.

            Throughout this week, as I think on the state of my attitude, I aim to meditate on Philippians 2, verse 5: “Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus.”. Throughout each waking hour… thinking about that call the Holy Spirit gave through Paul… realizing that only the presence of the Holy Spirit can show me that attitude of Jesus and shape me to it. In the car… my attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus. With my family… on my job… with my brothers and sisters in Christ… with my neighbors… toward the politicians who serve me… in all these things, what will it take for my attitude to be the same as Jesus’? I must surrender my attitude to His kingship: no ifs, ands, or buts. I must let it go, so that Christ’s attitude is on display in me.

            In the verses before and after verse 5 Paul reminds me about some of the characteristics of the attitude of Jesus: tenderness and compassion (v.1), no selfish ambition or vain conceit (v.3), humility (v.3), considering others better than myself (v.3), looking to (caring about) the interests of others (v.4), taking the nature of a servant (v.7), full obedience to the Father (v.8). In the scope of the New Testament we can find many more. So each day there will be good times and opportunities for me to conduct an attitude check in answer to the question: “Is my attitude the same as that of Christ Jesus?” Doing this prayerfully will, no doubt, have a transforming impact in me as the Holy Spirit “forms” Christ in me.

            If you would like to join me, I encourage you to write out Philippians 2:5 on a small card, carry it with you and take it out often, so that you might end up memorizing it. In doing so, it will become part of God’s Word hidden in our hearts, helping us to avoid sinning against God.

Philippians 2:1-8 (NIV) 1  If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, 2  then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. 3  Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. 4  Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. 5  Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: 6  Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, 7  but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. 8  And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death-- even death on a cross!

Psalm 119:9-11 (NIV) 9  How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. 10  I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. 11  I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.

PRAYER:  Father, lead me to be a “doer of Your Word” with regard to Philippians 2:5, that I might consciously, intentionally, and obediently conform my attitude to the truly and fully humble attitude of your Son, Jesus Christ. In His name I pray, AMEN.”

Jesus Christ is Lord!  
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment