Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Let It Snow, Let Snow

     The weather is always a good reminder to me that I am not in control and that everything does not always go according to my plan. A few inches of snow can shut down the plans of many, and many inches of snow can bring a community – even a whole region – to a virtual halt. If you’re living on a tight schedule with much to do and important events to attend, watch out! A few (or a lot of) flakes of snow can grind your agenda to a sudden halt, and you are “helpless” to do anything about it, except wait. Airport terminals overloaded with travelers know these things. Drivers grounded in motels and homes know this. Cities trying to remove the white stuff are full of inconvenienced commuters and shoppers. I guess we all know what enough snow is capable of doing.

But how do I respond? If you live in Maine long enough you realize that, for the most part, you slow down and go with the flow. You “respect” the conditions enough to not act foolishly and you do not proceed as if nothing were happening. You anticipate delays, and you expect your schedule will have to change, and you figure that some things just can’t be. If you cannot do these things, then Maine is probably not the place to be living. Control freaks don’t do well in snowstorms, and the bigger one you are, the more likely you are to end up crying or screaming.

It is good to have reminders that we are not in control… that life does not revolve around us. There are things that are “bigger” than we are. The most important application of this is that we remember that God is in control. I live in a “Christ-centered” universe, not a “Scott-centered” universe. I need to listen and focus on the sovereignty of God in all things, and be prepared to adjust myself to Him, rather than expecting Him to adjust to me. This is where I go wrong in prayer so often. I expect God to accommodate my “wishes” in prayer. I think, “He should do what I want Him to do,” rather than, “I should do what He wants me to do.” What a good thing to remember when praying: I live in a Christ-centered universe. Just that one truth will impact how I pray.

Perhaps each time it snows this winter we can be reminded of that truth, and we can live and pray in a mental and even physical posture of submission and surrender and acceptance toward the Lord of this universe.

Proverbs 27:1 (NIV) 1  Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth.

Matthew 6:7-15 (NIV) 7  And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8  Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him. 9  "This, then, is how you should pray: "'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, 10  your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. 11  Give us today our daily bread. 12  Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. 13  And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.' 14  For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15  But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

PRAYER:  Father, You know all things, and you do all things well. Remind me – even through the inconveniences of my life – that you are in control… that you are sovereign. Thank you for inviting me to come to you in prayer about all things. Help me to listen and receive, and not just dictate a wishlist to you every time I pray. I love you and thank you for your grace. In Jesus’ name, AMEN.”

Jesus Christ is Lord!
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment