Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Owner's Manual

      Joanne likes to get out and rake this time of year. Raking leaves has never been one of my favorite things to do. We had a huge lawn where I grew up, and all leaf removal was by manpower only. My dad didn’t buy machines to help and he could not afford heavy equipment to manage the leaves. He did, however, have six kids who were a pretty good workforce. Seasons came and seasons went. Somehow the job got done.

      This summer I decided to “get out of raking”. I bought a Toro Power Vac leaf blower and vacuum. I haven’t tried it out yet, but I am hoping it will be a better, quicker, and easier way to deal with the many maple leaves that fill our yard each year. Yesterday I took it out of the box. While it was tempting to start putting the attachments together and give it a try, I held off. The machine might look ready, but I wasn’t. Having a machine in front of me doesn’t mean I know what to do with it. I hadn’t read the owner’s manual. I like to read the owner’s manual when I buy something. I feel safer and more competent when I read the owner’s manual. I feel like I have a better chance of NOT breaking something (man or machine) if I’ve read the owner’s manual.

       Owner’s manuals are useful, even critical items. When they are ignored, bad things can happen. Users who ignore owner’s manuals do so to their own peril. You could even say they are foolish. The foolishness of pride is a sad and destructive thing. While it may not always be a big deal with some products or projects in our lives, it is always a big deal with regard to the spiritual life. And for that there is the most important owner’s manual - the Bible. By God’s grace we are “users” of His manual, which never leads astray. It always guides us to know and do God’s will. It shows us what choices we should make and what paths we should take. We can trust that following the Bible will always result in success (God’s version) in whatever “job” or task we face. The Bible is God’s manual for our lives. We ignore it at our peril. We use it for life. Taking it for granted results in harm. Taking it seriously results in hope and a godly health. God’s Word shows the way. It explains the what, where, why, and how of knowing God. Are you living today according to the Owner’s Manual? If not, what are you risking? What dangers are you facing? I encourage you to open God’s Word today and seek Him.

Psalm 19:7-11 (NIV) 7  The law of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul. The statutes of the LORD are trustworthy, making wise the simple. 8  The precepts of the LORD are right, giving joy to the heart. The commands of the LORD are radiant, giving light to the eyes. 9  The fear of the LORD is pure, enduring forever. The ordinances of the LORD are sure and altogether righteous. 10  They are more precious than gold, than much pure gold; they are sweeter than honey, than honey from the comb. 11  By them is your servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward.

Psalm 119:9-11 (NIV) 9  How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. 10  I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. 11  I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.

2 Timothy 2:15 (KJV) 15  Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 (NIV) 16  All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17  so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Psalm 119:105 (NIV) 105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.

Romans 15:4 (NIV) 4  For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.

PRAYER:  Father, Your Word is life. Lead me away from trusting in any other word than Yours. Transform me by Your Word. Guide me. I desire to know Your Word and to let it shape my life. In Jesus’ name, AMEN.”

 Jesus Christ is Lord!
Scott


No comments:

Post a Comment