Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Keeping in Step

            Have you ever marched to “Pomp and Circumstance” during your life? Whenever I go to an MDI High School graduation, hear the band, and watch (most of) the students stepping in time – or trying to – my memory goes back to 1974 when I graduated from Edward Little High School in Auburn. Miss Gervais, one of our French teachers, played the organ in the large auditorium as about 400 students marched. She must have been doing it for about a hundred years by the time I graduated. I wonder if she got tired of the playing, since the class was so large. I remember counting it out as we marched: left foot step, right foot stop, right foot step, left foot stop… over and over again while hoping I wouldn’t trip and make a fool of myself.

            This stepping pattern has also been used in weddings I’ve observed and a number I have officiated. I always leave the decision as to whether or not the bride and her attendants will do it… to her. They can usually handle it just fine, but the dads are sometimes a different story. Some can’t be bothered. Some are afraid of messing up. And some manage quite well. I hope I’ll be in this last category when Brianne gets married. I don’t want to do anything silly that draws attention to myself. However, I’m quite certain that Brianne will be so beautiful that it will be very difficult to distract people from her.

            I was never in the military, so I never learned to march properly. But it’s impressive to watch a well-trained unit or drill team going through its paces. The precision is remarkable. The same is true of marching bands and drum corps. Members of these groups have to be able to keep in step with each other, and the best ones do so with apparent perfection.

            The Apostle Paul uses this idea with regard to our life in the Holy Spirit. He says that those who belong to Christ are to “keep in step” with the Spirit. In other words, we are follow the pattern for living that He establishes. Our walk should be “in rhythm” with Him rather than being distracted by the rhythms of the world around us. What He does, we should do. Where He guides, we should go. When He commands, we should obey immediately. Any member of a drill team or a military platoon cannot just “do his own thing”, can he? The whole point is being one in movement, sound, and rhythm. It is to avoid calling attention to yourself but being one with others in whatever cadence the leader directs. The Holy Spirit is our leader in helping us to follow Christ. He sets the beat and we are called to be “in sync” with Him.


Some illustrations of this principle you might want to view can be found at the following links: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1UZpsdxDN0  (metronomes); http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p0DsVPkyZg  (Japanese synchronized walking – men) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jINuX_Hort8   (Japanese synchronized walking - women)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xteDjaNKY0  (United States Marine Corps Silent Drill Platoon)

Galatians 5:22-26 (NIV) 22  But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23  gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24  Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. 25  Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26  Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

Job 23:11 (NIV) 11  My feet have closely followed his steps; I have kept to his way without turning aside.

Job 31:4 (NIV) 4  Does he not see my ways and count my every step?

Psalm 17:5 (NIV) 5  My steps have held to your paths; my feet have not slipped.

Psalm 37:23 (KJV) 23  The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way.

Colossians 2:6 (NASB) 6  Therefore as you have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him,

PRAYER:  Father, as your Spirit sets the pace for me to follow with my brothers and sisters in Christ, help me to listen to Him and to stay true to the steps He has for us. Help to remember that it’s not about me and drawing attention to myself, but rather it’s about Jesus and drawing attention to Him. May He be fully on view in me. In Jesus’ name, AMEN.”

Jesus Christ is Lord!
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment