Wednesday, August 16, 2017

A Personal Money Manifesto - Part Two

Philippians 4:8-9 (NIV) 8  Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things. 9  Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me--put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

Last week I shared about the connection between work and money in our lives. I indicated that work – as it relates to money - can have a positive or negative impact in our lives: it can be God-glorifying or sinful. Today I move on to another experience in our lives that relates to money, and this one is negative, and results in sin in our lives. Yet it is a common part of life and can easily slip into taking control of our lives.

WORRY – There are many things that can occupy the mind of a worrier: my relationships, my appearance, my abilities (or lack of), what people think of me, the safety and well-being of my children or other loved ones, my health, death, possible loss, what I’m going to say (in a conversation or speaking before a group), and so on. Just yesterday morning I found an empty bottle of tequila under the apple tree in front of my house. It makes me wonder who was around my house overnight and exactly when. Should I keep my windows open at night? What if someone is coming up to the house? What’s going on? It would be easy to escalate my emotions and experience the power of worry taking over. What’s the problem with that? The problem is that worry – in whatever shape, form or extent it takes – displaces my trust in God. This is what makes worry a sin – it becomes more prominent than my faith in the Lord. Worry is the inverse of faith. It cannot survive in the mind and heart of a person who is exercising faith. Worry proclaims that God is not strong enough or caring enough to watch over me and keep me. Most of us would be loath to say that we believe that God is weak. But that is exactly what we do when we worry.

At or near the top of every list I found of common worries people experience is something related to money, and it is usually about having enough, paying bills, and having money in the future. Most people worry about some aspect of money in their lives. Those with a lot of money in investments will worry about how well they do… or don’t do. Those who have experienced want in their lives will often worry about not having enough again. Those who have emergency costs will worry about how everything is going to get paid. Students who borrow a great deal of money for college will worry about if they will ever be able to pay it back. Will the economy collapse? Will I lose my job (income)? Will my identity be stolen? Will I ever be able to afford a house? Will I ever be able to enjoy life and feel like I have gotten ahead? What will happen if my spouse divorces me or dies? Could I ever become homeless? These are just a few possibilities on a much larger list. And they will have power and influence over us if there is not a greater power and influence, and that is the character and the Word of God, who is Lord over all, and who is completely worthy of my trust and confidence.

Therefore…

-          I will set my mind on the things of the Lord (Colossians 3:1-2), knowing that He alone (and what honors Him) is eternal. This will also help me avoid wasting time on worrying about money.

-          I will seek first His kingdom and righteousness (Matthew 6:33), knowing that God will take care of everything that is a “thing” in this world.

-          I will seek confidence in God even when I have financial trouble or difficulty (Romans 8:28).

-          I will seek contentment in all circumstances (Philippians 4:11-13).

-          I will seek to daily express confidence (to God in prayer) that my life is in His hands.

-          I will seek to enjoy and focus on the blessings that I have, for worry will produce and ungrateful heart within me (Colossians 3:15, 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18, Hebrews 12:28).

-          I will seek advice from wise and godly people.

-          I will pay my debts, and avoid debt that I cannot pay off (Romans 13:8)

-          I will guard my health (sleep, proper eating, exercise) when money issues cause stress and strain (Matthew 6:25-32).

-          I will seek to talk calmly about money rather than fight about it with my spouse , parent, or child (Colossians 4:6, 1 Timothy 4:12).

-          I will seek to avoid solving my problems (with worry) with alcohol or any other substance or practice that is harmful to my mind, body, or relationship (with God or others).

-          I will seek to focus on today and avoid letting the future and its potential troubles overwhelm me. (Matthew 6:34).

-          I will seek to pray regularly and entrust my relationship with money to the Lord and make it subject to Him.

-          I will seek to live simply, believing that the more I have, the greater my temptation to worry will be. So I will trust God to provide for my needs and not be consumed by my wants.

Would you add anything to my list?

I seek these things in response to God’s grace to me in Jesus, as a means to trust Him in practical ways. Disciples do not live in bondage to worry, but follow the One who has saved them fully and completely by His great work on the cross. So I surrender my worry to His Lordship of my life, including my attitudes about money.

NEXT WEEK – Money and Wants

Matthew 6:25-27 (NIV) 25  "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26  Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27  Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?

Philippians 4:6-7 (NIV) 6  Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Psalm 37:25 (NIV)  I was young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread.

Philippians 4:19 (NIV)  And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.

PRAYER:  Father, may my faith in you be strong. Remind me daily of you trustworthiness and your love for me. Remind me that my life is in your hands and that you are Jehovah-Jireh… my Provider. And thank you.  In the name of Jesus, AMEN.”

Jesus Christ is Lord!    

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment