Tuesday, June 7, 2016

How'm I Doin'?

Ephesians 4:15 (NIV)  Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ.

            From time to time I forget. If, during the time in worship services that we share the Lord’s Supper together, I turn to face the front of the auditorium, my microphone doesn’t like it. It’s because it is pointed directly at the main speaker. Speakers, and microphones pointed at them, are not a good combination, because feedback is produced. This feedback can be shrill… even painful to the ears. So… I get annoyed with myself when I forget this, and I feel bad for those who have to endure it, even if just briefly. The sound of feedback doesn’t exactly go along with the quieter, worshipful moments of sharing the bread and the cup together that we seek. I will try to do better at remembering. “Feedback” happens in an electronic system when a microphone or the pickup of an electric guitar picks up sound from a speaker connected to an amplifier and regenerates it back through the amplifier. Many rock guitarists love it and have used it in their performances ever since the electric guitar was invented. But generally it is an undesirable, unwanted noise. Even a very small amount of feedback can be quite distracting and annoying. Though I don’t understand all the science of it, I know I don’t like it. That’s sort of like when someone says, “I don’t know much about art, but I know what I like.” I don’t know much about electronics, but I know I don’t like feedback.

            But not all feedback is a bad thing. There are other ways that we use this word in our world today. One of those ways is to describe a means of requesting or gathering helpful information or criticism in order to improve a performance, product, relationship, or process. Typically those who want to get better at something are wise to get feedback from those they trust. A trusted source will give honest feedback. This honest feedback may, at first, sound to us like speaker “squawk” and make us uncomfortable. It may even hurt. But if the person giving it genuinely loves us and cares for us we can trust that they truly want to help us and want what is best for us. Proverbs 27:6 says, “Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.”

            If you treat the caring feedback of a friend – though possibly uncomfortable – like the unwelcome feedback of a sound system, you may miss some of God’s most valuable blessings. Our hearts can be very tender and easily wounded. It is not easy to receive a word that we perceive as critical. We want to become defensive and justify ourselves before others. But the greater spiritual maturity we possess, the more able we are to initially receive some kinds of feedback and actually grow… and even be blessed because of it. From 1978-89 Ed Koch was mayor of New York City. He would ride the subways and stand at street corners greeting people with the slogan, “How’m I doin’?”  I’m sure he received many replies that weren’t easy to hear, and no doubt some that I wouldn’t want to repeat in your company. Yet that question is a request for feedback. And if you ask for it sincerely, you will get it. Some of it will sound terrible to your ears. But what comes to you in love will be a blessing to your soul if you can receive it. It may end up being what you need more than anything else.  Jesus will help you if you trust Him. That is one of the blessings of grace. So… may He give us eyes to see, ears to hear, and hearts to receive. Amen!

Galatians 6:1-2 (NIV) 1  Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted. 2  Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.

Ephesians 4:29 (NIV)  Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

1 Corinthians 16:14 (NASB)  Let all that you do be done in love.

Proverbs 15:31 (NLT)  If you listen to constructive criticism, you will be at home among the wise.

PRAYER:  Father, help me not to shut down my heart when you want to use someone in my life to help me. Thank you that this is a means you use to extend your grace to me. Let me see what you see. Thank you. In Jesus’ name, AMEN.”

Jesus Christ is Lord!    

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment