Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Which Way to Go?

Psalm 23:3 (NIV)  he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

            A few years ago Joanne and I ended up on what amounted to a logging road in the middle of nowhere because I thought the GPS on my phone seemed reliable. I thought of that horrible experience when reading this story in the news…

“Depending on a GPS is a daily occurrence for most drivers. Whether it is by phone, in dash, or a portable unit we all use them. But it goes even further than ‘use,’ we trust these units to take us where we ask. And when it starts taking us into bad places we assume that the GPS knows what it is doing and wouldn't take us to a bad place. Sometimes even the worst case scenario can happen though. The park rangers at Death Valley National Park in California call it ‘death by GPS.’ It describes what happens when your GPS fails you, not by being wrong, exactly, but often by being too right. It does such a good job of computing the most direct route from Point A to Point B that it takes you down roads which barely exist, or were used at one time and abandoned, or are not suitable for your car, or which require all kinds of local knowledge that would make you aware that making that turn is bad news. Most of these incidents don't end in death, but rather in bafflement. A woman in Bellevue, Washington drove her car into a lake because her GPS said it was a road. A man in Yorkshire, England almost drove his car off a cliff. The answers in these circumstances?  - ‘The GPS told us we could drive there.’”

You wonder how many people in our world today are putting their faith and trust in some things that will end up taking them where they don’t want to go. When the results are serious trouble or difficulty they scratch their heads and can’t quite figure out what happened. But whatever they were trusting in told them it would get them there. In the meantime, though, they face danger or even loss of life.

The Lord will never give us a wrong turn or take us down a wrong road. We will never go astray if we follow Him and use His Word as our guide for life. This doesn’t mean we will have no hardships, but it does encourage us to know that we can never be lost and that His abiding presence and guidance is always with us. There are no wrong turns for the person who follows Jesus faithfully.

Psalm 119:9-11 (NIV) 9  How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. 10  I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. 11  I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.

Psalm 119:105 (NIV)  Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.

Hebrews 13:5-6 (NIV) 5  Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." 6  So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?"

PRAYER:  Father, I confess how often I think I know what I am doing and where I am going, but I’m really listening to myself or something other than you. Keep me focused on your Word, and let my heart desire and love to follow it more than anything else. In Jesus’ name, AMEN.”

Jesus Christ is Lord!    

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment