Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Longing for Christ's Return

Matthew 24:44 (NIV)  So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him.

            I wish I spent more time thinking on Christ’s return. The Scriptures call us to be watchful and waiting as we anticipate the return of Jesus. It is something to greatly desire and long for. Therefore, it is not a matter of wishful thinking, but a matter of constant readiness. So many biblical passages about the return of Christ have a two-fold perspective to them. On the one hand eagerness for the return of Christ is commended. It is described as a thing just as sure as His first coming… His life, death, resurrection, and ascension happened before the eyes of many witnesses. So will His return. But the second perspective always has to do with the here and now. It’s like the Bible is saying over and over again, “Jesus is returning. So what about now?”

            Jesus is returning, but one of the biggest impacts of this truth is related to how I live now. Because He is coming again – soon according to many biblical texts – I (we) should live in a certain way now. A future event has an influence on the choices, behaviors, and attitudes I have now - right now – every day that I live. The return of Christ influences how I handle hardship and suffering. It inspires me to a greater and more intentional pursuit of godly living and holiness of heart. It encourages me toward faithfulness and a deep commitment to stewardship of the gifts and blessings He has given me. It seems like the more I forget that Jesus is coming back the easier it is for me to sin, to become discouraged, and to live according to sight and not by faith. But when I remember the certainty of His return I am reminded of how much I have to live for and how much I have to live for Him. Upon His return I will be found faithful or faithless, walking in Him or walking according to my flesh, tending to His business or behaving as if my life is my own and that He will never come back.

            The Apostle Paul looked forward to Jesus’ return and spoke of those who “loved” it: “… in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing.” (2 Timothy 4:8 - NASB). What joy there is for those who live “loving his appearing”. Last week Joanne and I drove to Newark Airport to pick up Brianne and Mason. As we were walking toward the terminal I was thinking about how much I enjoy airport reunions. In my ins and outs of airports I have seen many joyful reunions of those ending journeys and those gathered to meet them. Hugs, kisses, and tears abound. And when you yourself are involved in one of those reunions it is even sweeter. In the terminal we found someone to help us find out where people on Brianne’s flight would be emerging. So there we went and waited. Our eyes were steadily focused on the hallway leading out of the gate area. We were looking for a young woman pushing a stroller. We had no interest in anyone who did not fit that description. People kept coming and coming through. It seemed like it was taking forever. The more anticipation we had, the longer it seemed to take. But we did not take our eyes off of that hallway, for we knew at any moment they would turn the corner and be heading for us. And, to our delight, finally, there they were coming our way. Then came our own hugs and kisses and tears. There is a joy to that that is very special.

Are my eyes on Christ’s return like this? I think I would be happy if I just had a moment every day to remember that Jesus is coming back. After all, the subject of His return is not meant to replace the stuff of my daily living, but rather to refine and define it. His return will bring the end of sin in me. It will bring a new clarity of sight and understanding, as I will no longer see through a glass darkly. It will be accompanied by an establishment of justice that was never fulfilled in this life. It will usher me into His presence. It will be the next step of His eternal purposes for me. It will feature a new ability to worship and depth of appreciation of who He is. Great joys await us! So let us be up on our tiptoes, craning our necks in anticipation. Our Lord is returning. We know not when, but we know that He is. May God give us at least a moment each day to remember His return and to long for His coming. Amen.

Matthew 24:42-45 (NIV) 42  "Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. 43  But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. 44  So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him. 45  "Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom the master has put in charge of the servants in his household to give them their food at the proper time?

Acts 1:10-11 (NIV) 10  They were looking intently up into the sky as he was going, when suddenly two men dressed in white stood beside them. 11  "Men of Galilee," they said, "why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven."  

Titus 2:11-14 (NIV) 11  For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. 12  It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, 13  while we wait for the blessed hope--the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, 14  who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good.

1 Peter 4:12-13 (NIV) 12  Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. 13  But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed.

1 John 2:28 (NIV)  And now, dear children, continue in him, so that when he appears we may be confident and unashamed before him at his coming.

PRAYER:  Father, stir my heart to love and long for the appearing of Jesus. Let your Spirit remind me each day and lead me to a few moments, at least, of this blessed hope. And may this daily discipline lead me to a holiness of life that is pleasing to you. I sincerely desire for Christ’s future return to impact me here and now. And I thank you for how that works. In Jesus’ name, AMEN.”

Jesus Christ is Lord!    

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment