Tuesday, March 22, 2016

A Rearranged or a Changed Heart?

Psalm 51:10 (KJV)  Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.

            Joanne took advantage of the snow day on Monday by doing some things at the house she had been wanting to do when she had the time. One thing was to rearrange the living room furniture. Do you do that in your home? My mom did it when I was a kid. When you’re little something like that seems like a big deal. Why do people do this? I think probably because they want a fresh look... something different. We get bored with the same old same old and we like to mix things up. In our living room we have no new furniture: it’s the same furniture we’ve had for 10+ years. Two rocker-recliners that still have arm rests that are not close to being as clean as when they were when new. A small arm chair that belonged to my mom many years ago and found its way to our house. A small wooden rocking chair that is as uncomfortable as ever. And a couch that is showing its age. So yes, there is a new look in the room. But it’s just a rearrangement. It doesn’t change how things look up close. A throw might cover up spots and give a new look, but it won’t change what’s underneath. We do clean things up from time to time, but even a cleaning won’t get the “new furniture look” back completely. Small improvements help, but they tend to fall short of a true “new look”.

            My spiritual life can be like the living room at times. In my spiritual life I have lots of “stuff” in my heart. Some of it has been there a long time. It’s well-worn and dirty. In some cases I don’t even remember how it found its way there. But it’s there: an attitude toward someone I’ve been holding onto… a sin I’m unwilling to surrender… an expectation or direction from Scripture that I have been too stubborn to put into practice… a use of my time or money that is selfish and isn’t really honoring to the Lord. Some of these things – maybe just a couple – have been in the living room of my life for a long time. From time to time I move them around or do a cosmetic, superficial alteration: a small cleaning job so it looks passable. I attend to religious stuff a little more or start an effort to be a better person in certain ways… . Those aren’t bad things in themselves, but my real need is a heart change, not superficial, external rearrangement. I need a new heart, and those only come from Christ. I need transformation from old to new, and I cannot make that happen. Only Jesus can do that. When I surrender my “stuff” (when I repent) He will give me something brand new. He will give me from what is His. He doesn’t say to me, “Just apply a little soap and scrub. Just rearrange it so the spots are covered up.”

            Managing sin is like trying to rearrange a living room to make me feel better. Only Jesus can give me something brand new and different. The Gospel is about the righteousness of Jesus being placed over me so that God the Father doesn’t just see a clean cover over something dirty underneath. It’s about a righteousness that permeates me so deeply that it is all there is for the Father to see. There is no unrighteousness for the Father to see because Jesus has replaced it with His own. That’s a massively major transaction that gives me a whole new perspective: new life… clean life… no stains… no blemishes. Jesus is our “interior decorator” extraordinaire. Just one thing… He wants me to know that my heart is His living room now. He decides what goes where: what to keep and what to get rid of.

Ezekiel 36:26 (NIV)  I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh.

Ezekiel 18:30-32 (NIV) 30  "Therefore, O house of Israel, I will judge you, each one according to his ways, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent! Turn away from all your offenses; then sin will not be your downfall. 31  Rid yourselves of all the offenses you have committed, and get a new heart and a new spirit. Why will you die, O house of Israel? 32  For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent and live!

Isaiah 1:18 (NIV)  "Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool.

PRAYER:  Father, there is “stuff” in my heart that I have gotten comfortable with and allowed to remain in my life unchanged. This stuff has kept me from you, even when I’ve gone to church and done spiritual duties. I need my heart changed and I recognize that only you can do this. Give me eyes to see the poverty in my soul and my love for things which fall short of what you require. Have mercy upon me and transform me. My efforts to just touch up my brokenness and sin just don’t do it. Let me see the uselessness of thinking my works will ever be able to satisfy your holiness. Have Thine own way, Lord, Have Thine own way. In Jesus’ name, AMEN.”

Jesus Christ is Lord!    

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment