Tuesday, June 30, 2015

When I Am Afraid

            In the 1980’s actor Michael J. Fox played a teenaged character named Marty McFly in one of the most popular movie trilogies of all time: Back to the Future. McFly is sort of a runt of a kid who doesn’t usually fit in with his peers. One of his main character flaws is his reaction to taunts that he might be too “chicken” to do something (something often dangerous). This is his weakness, because it makes him angry. He cannot abide the idea that someone might think he is too afraid to respond to the “challenge”. But whenever he does, something always goes wrong. The ironic thing about all this is that in his desperate desire to avoid being thought of as fearful, or a “wimp”, or “chicken”… his often foolish, unstoppable actions are themselves all motivated by fear. His biggest fear is that someone will perceive him as afraid… as a “baby”… as a nerd… or in some other undesirable way.

            The fear of man will lead a person to do strange things: silly things… even crazy things. If others knew that we were speaking or not speaking, or doing something a certain way because of worry about what someone else thought, they would probably laugh at us. That’s why we rarely share these kinds of things with others. On many occasions, what others think (or what we perceive others are thinking) is the primary driver of what we say or don’t say, and what we do or don’t do.

            In preparation for the Bible study on this topic that I am beginning on July 2, I have been making a list of how this works in my own life. Just how much of what we do, think, and say is motivated by the fear of man. For example, one of mine happens in the restaurant. I have been served a meal that is less than satisfactory. I complain to Joanne about it. But when the waiter/waitress comes by and asks, “How is everything?” inevitably I respond with “Fine.” Even if it’s terrible. Why do I do that? It’s because I don’t want to make waves… don’t want to get a bad reaction… don’t want to get someone in trouble… don’t want to make someone feel bad… or some such idea. Not everyone thinks the way I do. I have a brother who very easily sets the restaurant straight when something isn’t quite right. Many people have no problem doing this. But me? I just “let it go”.

            Have you ever hesitated to bow your head in observable prayer in a restaurant to ask God’s blessing on your meal? How about going along with a group doing something you knew was wrong, just so you could fit in? What about speaking about Christ to another person? Not being able to say no? Avoiding a certain person? In our study together we are going to examine what fear of man does to us, and how we may fear the Lord more and fear man less, and experience transformation in the power of the Holy Spirit. I invite you to join us if you are in the area.

            May the Lord deliver us from the fear of man and its many manifestations, so that we might fear Him and live to His glory. AMEN.

Psalm 56:3-4 (NIV) 3  When I am afraid, I will trust in you. 4  In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?

Psalm 118:4-7 (NIV) 4  Let those who fear the LORD say: "His love endures forever." 5  In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. 6  The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me? 7  The LORD is with me; he is my helper. I will look in triumph on my enemies.

Isaiah 41:10 (NIV)  So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

1 Peter 3:13-16 (NIV) 13  Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? 14  But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. "Do not fear what they fear; do not be frightened." 15  But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, 16  keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.

PRAYER:  Father, teach me the fear of the Lord. Let me understand it fully, and let me practice it maturely, so that my respect and love for you is true. In Jesus’ name, AMEN.”

Jesus Christ is Lord!    

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment