Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Music Appreciation

            On Sunday a group of folks from our church visited Sonogee Rehabilitation and Living Center to spend some time Christmas caroling. Our custom is to slowly “wander” the halls as we sing, greeting people from room to room and stopping wherever two or three or more gather to listen. As many times as I ask the question, “Do you have a favorite?”… I receive the same response: “I like them all.” It doesn’t seem to matter what we sing: they’re happy we’re there. People just love the sound of our singing, amateur as it is. We had a few younger children with us as well. They are always a big hit with the residents and invariably brighten their faces with smiles.

            There was a moment during the caroling when I found myself unable to sing. While we were singing “Silent Night” I looked into a room nearby. A woman – in her eighties at least – was lying in bed, on her back, eyes closed, as if she were sleeping. But her lips were moving. At first I missed it, but then realized they were moving in sync with our singing. She was hearing us and “joining in” as best she could. There was something about that moment that began to choke me up, and I had to stop trying to sing and try instead to keep from tearing up and weeping. I’ve thought about that moment since, wondering why and how such things happen. Music has the capacity to be a very powerful emotion-impacting force. It can evoke deep memories, sentimentality, and feelings of sadness, joy, loss, loneliness, fun, and even anger. So much of our lives are associated with music in some way. I remember another time singing Christmas carols in a unit of Alzheimer’s patients, wondering if we would be able to connect at all with them. It turned out to be the best time of Christmas caroling I have ever experienced. It was amazing how much they sang along – word for word – the verses of each carol. That, too, was quite moving to see and experience the power of music.

            Our Creator God built into the souls of those made in His image a place where music reaches in and touches with power. Music itself has to be one of the most remarkable works of God in all creation. Just think of all that has been created in the minds of men and women with just a relatively few notes and rhythms. Music can be made in so many different ways, by so many different instruments. I recently saw a video someone posted on Facebook which depicted a man making an instrument out of a carrot and then playing it like a clarinet. In his hands it actually sounded pretty good. The variety of instruments and sounds is truly astounding. Just one more of the innumerable things that point to the greatness and glory of the Lord. Educational courses are taught on the subject of music appreciation and, like the visual arts, when it comes to music we all know what we like. We all have our own taste, and there is no shortage of styles and genres to suit our needs and wants. But there is an even deeper kind of music appreciation for us. It is the kind that wonders and worships the very Source of music. Music exists at all because of God’s great joy to craft and design it. That kind of appreciation must be the most important, I think.

            When I was younger my family would ask me to bring my guitar to Christmas gatherings so that we could sing Christmas songs. Sometimes I would hesitate, because my grandmother would always cry when we sang “I’ll be Home for Christmas” or “White Christmas”. And that would make me uncomfortable. Now I remember it fondly, and would love to be back together with all the tears. This Christmas may we enjoy the music of our Lord as a means of enjoying Him.

Psalm 100:1 (KJV)  Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.

Psalm 150:1-6 (NIV) 1  Praise the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary; praise him in his mighty heavens. 2  Praise him for his acts of power; praise him for his surpassing greatness. 3  Praise him with the sounding of the trumpet, praise him with the harp and lyre, 4  praise him with tambourine and dancing, praise him with the strings and flute, 5  praise him with the clash of cymbals, praise him with resounding cymbals. 6  Let everything that has breath praise the LORD. Praise the LORD.

PRAYER:  Father, thank you for creating music. It truly is one of the greatest joys in my life, especially that music that is clearly to your glory. May my voice always be eager to join in on any sound that is pleasing to you. In Christ’s name, AMEN.”

Jesus Christ is Lord!  

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment