Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Appreciation and Prayer for Veterans

            Today is Veteran’s Day, 2014 – a good day to remember and appreciate all veterans of our armed services who are still living, along with those who have died in service or after service to our country. My own family has a limited connection to military service. My dad’s draft age came between World War II and the Korean War. My oldest brother obtained a deferment and my next oldest brother enlisted in the National Guard. The Vietnam War came to an end just before I graduated from high school and not long after that serving in the U.S. military became voluntary, so I never became a military man. I had an uncle who served in Korea. My son-in-law is a Captain in the U.S. Army. He did active duty in both Iraq and Afghanistan. He continues service in the Army National Guard in South Carolina. I have many friends and acquaintances who have served.

            With such a background, much of the impact of military life, service, and loss is not as personal for me as it would be for those who grew up all over the place because their dad moved around a lot. The experiences of those who saw combat duty has not been my experience. Many of the veterans I have known who saw combat duty were not all that fond of talking about it, especially if they lost buddies or fought and lived through extremely fearful or harsh situations. When I was just starting out as a youth pastor I used to visit an older couple in the church I served in upstate New York. The wife was a lovely and gracious lady who had patiently cared for and loved her husband for many years. He had been a veteran of World War I and had experienced “shell shock” (what they called it then). He had a difficult time communicating and I had a difficult time trying to understand him. His wife was a great help. They were grateful for my visits (filling in for the pastor of the church) and were very kind, but I never felt like I had really ever done very much. Perhaps just taking the time and showing an interest in him meant a lot to them.

            While there are veterans who may prefer not to talk about things related to their time of service, I think that they still are blessed if people simply show an interest and express appreciation to them. It is nice to be remembered. We may also remember in prayer both our veterans and those who currently serve in any of the armed forces. They may or may not be aware that we are doing this, but we know. We may place them in God’s hands for His will in their lives. We may pray for their safety… healing… encouragement… and in many other ways.

            I encourage you to pray for a veteran today… and to reach out to one if you can. Say thank you and give them a blessing. There is a sobering video at http://prayercast.com/war.html that reminds us that war is still a reality in many places in our world. There is an excellent prayer that you may want to join as you listen/watch. May God bless you today if you are a veteran with all that He gives us through Jesus Christ His Son.  AMEN!

Joshua 1:9 (NIV)  Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."

Psalm 33:20-22 (NIV) 20  We wait in hope for the LORD; he is our help and our shield. 21  In him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in his holy name. 22  May your unfailing love rest upon us, O LORD, even as we put our hope in you.

2 Samuel 22:2-4 (NIV) 2  He said: "The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; 3  my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation. He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior-- from violent men you save me. 4  I call to the LORD, who is worthy of praise, and I am saved from my enemies.

John 15:13 (NIV)  Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Psalm 46:1 (NIV)  God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.

PRAYER:  Father, thank you for the men and women who have served our country in defense of freedom around the world. May their service not be in vain, and may they be encouraged in their families, communities, and churches. May they come to know the Gospel of Jesus Christ and be transformed buy its power. In Jesus’ name, AMEN.”

Jesus Christ is Lord!  
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment