Tuesday, March 11, 2014

How We See the World

      An old friend of mine posted something I thought was very interesting on Facebook the other day. I’m not sure who the original author is. Perhaps you have seen it. I have modified it slightly and placed it below for you to read. There are two steps to this. The first step is to just read it. I’ll give you step two when you finish.

I will live my life according to these beliefs
God does not exist
It is just foolish to think
That there is a God with a cosmic plan
That an all-powerful God brings redemption and healing to the pain and suffering of the world
Is a comforting thought, however
It
Is only wishful thinking
People do as they please without eternal consequences
The idea that
I am deserving of Hell
Because of sin
Is a lie meant to make me a slave to those in power
“The more you have, the happier you will be”
Our existence has no grand meaning or purpose
In a world with no God
There is freedom to be who I want to be
But with God
Everything is fine
It is ridiculous to think
I am lost and in need of saving

            Now, step two is to read it again, from the bottom to the top. Do that now.

            While the grammar may not be perfect, it is an illustration of what is called our “worldview”. Everyone has a worldview. A worldview is a set of beliefs that underlie and shape all human thought and action. Your worldview will define how you see and understand what the world is and how it works. In our Foundations of Apologetics group that meets each Sunday evening, we learned that there are four basic questions that underlie our formation of a worldview:

1.     Where did I come from? (Origin)

2.     How do I separate good from bad? (Morality)

3.     What is my life’s meaning? (Purpose)

4.     What’s going to happen to me when I die? (Destiny)

Depending on which direction you read the description above, two very distinct and contrasting worldviews are displayed. Each of us live our lives according to how we answer these questions. The Christian sees the world this way: “I was created by an eternal, loving, just, and holy God. His Word – the Bible – tells me what He has established as good, and what He has said is wrong. The purpose of my life is to bring God glory in all that I am and all that I do. When I die, I am going to live eternally with Him in heaven because by grace Jesus Christ has redeemed me by His atoning death on the cross.”

Now, that could be worded in varying ways. It could definitely be expanded upon, and made richer and deeper in meaning. But you get the idea. For the Christian, a worldview is shaped by the Truth of God’s Word and the entrance of God’s Son into history and all the implications of who Christ was, what He taught, and what He did. The fact that He rose from the dead will contribute to a completely different worldview. How do you answer those four questions? Do your answers satisfy? Those who find their answers in Christ and in the Word of God will never be disappointed.

John 8:31-32 (NIV) 31  To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32  Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Psalm 19:8-11 (NIV) 8  The precepts of the LORD are right, giving joy to the heart. The commands of the LORD are radiant, giving light to the eyes. 9  The fear of the LORD is pure, enduring forever. The ordinances of the LORD are sure and altogether righteous. 10  They are more precious than gold, than much pure gold; they are sweeter than honey, than honey from the comb. 11  By them is your servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward.

Luke 21:33 (NIV) 33  Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

PRAYER:  Father, open my eyes to see You. Let your Spirit bear witness to me of who you are and may he give me understanding to know you and love you. May your Word shape my life. May all of my assumptions and presuppositions about truth, reality, and life. In Jesus’ name, AMEN.”

Jesus Christ is Lord!  
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment