Tuesday, September 17, 2013

"Eat My Dust?"

            Sometimes Scott “the preacher” and “disciple” of Jesus feels more like Scott the “bicycle rider”. Let me explain. I’ve ridden quite a bit this summer. When I’m riding on the carriage paths I like to pass people when I can. There are plenty of occasions when I get passed, but I like it when I’m able to get ahead of others. It’s not like I’m making remarks as I pass them, such as “In your face!” or “Eat my dust!” I just like to challenge myself when I approach someone from behind. I’m thinking, “You can do it… pedal harder… push yourself…” I like that kind of challenge.

A few weeks ago I turned onto Norris Avenue and noticed a rider up at the end of the street. He turned left to go up the hill on Spring Street: the same way I was going. When I got to the bottom of the hill I thought, “I think I’ll catch that person on the hill or shortly after.” I came within about 20 or 30 feet when, almost before I knew it, he was moving forward so quickly that the distance between us began to grow. “Maybe I’ll catch him at the stop sign,” I thought. But the distance between us continued to grow. And as we headed up Cromwell Harbor Road through Kebo Golf Course he was further and further ahead.

            We weren’t racing. He did not even know I was there. He was just going at his normal pace. I had kept quiet and hadn’t spoken, even though I was pretty sure it was Mike Ross in front of me. I just figured I’d catch up at some point. As I turned to ride up Eagle Lake Road he was already down his street (Arata Drive) finishing his ride. I thought, “Man, he is in great shape. He dusted me!” I had planned to mention this event to him, but had forgotten it until recently. So if he reads this, it will be “news” to him.

            There are times as I follow Jesus that I “meet” others on the same path. I hear them preach or teach… I read their book(s) and I think, “S/he is so far ahead of me. I don’t think I will ever understand the things s/he does about being Christ’s follower.” Then there are others that I see who have an incredible level of love, peace, joy, hope, or some other evidence of the presence of Jesus’ gift of the Holy Spirit. And I think, “Man, I wish I could love that way… I wish I had that kind of joy… wow, I’m so lacking in peace compared to him/her. I have so far to go. I’m not anywhere near where I should be.” There will always be people “out in front” of me spiritually. That’s a good thing, because it spurs me on… it encourages me to keep going and keep growing. I’m thankful for what I can learn from them. The depth of faith of others and their victories in Christ inspire me onward in Christ.

            There is also comfort, though, in knowing that Jesus never makes me “play catch-up”. He’s not unreachable. Of course He actually is because He’s God the Son. I can’t even rightly compare myself to Him. But at the same time, He’s with me wherever I am, always encouraging me to go deeper with Him… to know Him and His Word better, to love Him more. You could say, “He rides with me even though He’s beyond my ability to keep up with.” And He does that with any one of us who will ask Him, “Would you ride with me?”       

Hebrews 12:1-2 (NIV) 1  Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2  Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Hebrews 13:5 (NIV) 5  Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."

PRAYER:  Father, thank you for the presence of Jesus in my life through the Holy Spirit. What an amazing thing to know that God is with me… that Christ is in me – the hope of glory. In some ways this is beyond the scope of my mind to even grasp. Thank you for all those you have put in my path who have encouraged, educated, and been an example to me. Please bless them. In Jesus’ name, AMEN.”

Jesus Christ is Lord!
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment