Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The Good Work of the Holy Spirit

           Earlier this Spring I finally got around to gathering up all the sticks on our lawn. Our yard is surrounded by maple trees. Though I like the trees, sometimes they feel like overgrown weeds that just make a mess. The “sticks” were a winter’s worth of branches (and a couple of limbs) that had broken and fallen to the ground. I filled the wheelbarrow three times and have a good-sized pile out by the driveway. The lawn is easier to mow and it looks better without all the twigs. This is not one of my favorite things to do because it’s not all that easy on the back. But it’s a good feeling to have the yard clean, so it’s worth it.

            The recent rainy period was accompanied by a few windy days, so guess what I had to do? Get the wheelbarrow out again… circle the house… fill it up with more sticks… take it to the pile… and check my attitude. While there were not as many sticks as before, I still felt a little annoyed at having to do this again. “How many times this summer is this going to happen?!” I thought. “Stupid wind!”

            The next day I was thinking about this little episode as a spiritual illustration. The Scriptures speak of the Holy Spirit often in terms of wind. The Greek and Hebrew words for “spirit” speak of “breath” and “wind”. One of the works of the Holy Spirit in the life of the believer is conviction of sin. He reminds us of the areas and occasions where we have fallen short of God’s glory. This is a good thing, because we can then confess those sins and receive forgiveness and be restored in our relationship with the Lord. The Spirit does spiritually what the wind does to my maple trees. The wind knocks off the deadwood. It makes the brokenness obvious, and I have to pick it up. I have to clean it up. While I don’t always like having my sins exposed and my brokenness made obvious, I’m thankful for the Holy Spirit’s work because I like being “cleaned up”. It’s a good feeling to have my heart clean and forgiven. So may He “blow over me” daily. May He bring to light the stuff that isn’t healthy and that offends the Lord. And just like I burn up all the twigs in my yard, may He burn away the guilt and shame of my sins so that nothing remains of them, and I may walk with Christ in righteousness.

Psalm 51:1 (NIV) - 1  Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions.

John 16:8-11 (NIV) - 8  When he comes, he will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment: 9  in regard to sin, because men do not believe in me; 10  in regard to righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; 11  and in regard to judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned.

PRAYER: “Father, thank You for the convicting and consecrating work of the Holy Spirit. As He “blows” through my life, please reveal to me those things that need to be “cleaned up”. Lead me to confess my sin and find forgiveness through the blood of Jesus Christ Your Son, who has saved me by His grace. Thank You for Your forgiveness and Your power to cleanse.  In Jesus’ name I pray, AMEN.”

Jesus Christ is Lord!
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment