Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Slow Down

          Recently I paid a visit to my dentist in order to have the first step in having a crown done. Part of the procedure involves taking an impression. To do this the dentist injects some kind of soft polymer into the area to make a mold from which a “replacement” tooth can be made. The mold takes 5 minutes to set up. That doesn’t sound like all that long, does it? I was told not to open my mouth during this time. As the minutes passed I began to realize that this simple thing was not as easy as I thought it would be. Staying still and keeping my mouth closed is not something I’m used to doing. The more I thought about it, the more I wanted to move and open my mouth, but I knew I couldn’t. If I did I would mess it all up and the impression would have to be done again. It did not become unbearable, but it was definitely noticeable. Keeping my mouth closed was different than keeping quiet. Not making noise and being still are not the same thing.

            At times in the Scriptures we are commanded to be still. Important things happen when we are still. We are more apt to hear from and recognize God’s presence. Noise and busyness in life keeps us from noticing Him. But slowing down allows us to listen. Chuck Girard, an early contemporary Christian music artist performed a song called “Slow Down”. The neat thing about the song was that it didn’t just talk about slowing down. The performance of it involved places where Girard intentionally slowed the song. And whenever I tried to sing along I kept “jumping the gun” and finishing phrases too quickly. It was almost annoying, but very clever on Girard’s part. The song forced you to slow down, not just hear about it.

            How well do you respond when the Lord says “Be still” or “Slow down”? He only does it because we are bypassing Him in some way and not giving Him what He is due. May this simple reminder cause us to open our ears and hearts to His voice and to stop and enjoy Him. I don’t think He is particularly interested in us hurrying into and out of His presence. He always acts in His own time. So let us make time and take time for the Lord and obey His Word to be still and acknowledge who He is.

Psalm 37:77 “Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; do not fret when people succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes.”

Psalm 46:1010 He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”

PRAYER: “Father, slow us down and still our spirits, so that we might be with You and listen to Your voice. Instruct us in the way we should go, and teach us not to be in a hurry whenever we are in Your presence. Thanks.  In Jesus’ name, AMEN.”

No comments:

Post a Comment