Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Tell the story again!


Good morning,
                Have you ever read a book more than once? Why in the world would you do that? You know the story. You know the plot, the characters, the climax, and the end. If you read it again, there won’t be any major surprises. Maybe you’ll note a few small things you missed the first time. Why take the time to read it all over again?

                When we were children - if we were blessed to have parents who read to us - it was probably a common thing for us to ask for a certain story over and over again. Or perhaps your own kids ask for a certain story repeatedly. You may be sick and tired ofThe Cat in the Hat or have memorized by now the Berenstain Bears. You can only take so much, right? When I get some time in the evening or in the car I am currently listening to a dramatized version of The Lord of the Rings. I’ve read the books several times and listened to this audio version quite a few times. A year or two (or three) will go by and I will come back to it and give it a fresh listen. Even though I know the story and everything that will happen in it, I love to listen again. I think it is because I know the story and everything that will happen in it that I want to read or hear it once more. There is an enjoyment… a comfort and good feeling that comes from hearing the familiar repeated.

                I once learned that this is how worship works. Our worship involves telling stories over and over. This coming Sunday we will share the Lord’s Supper, which tells the story of His sacrificial death for us on the cross. In a few weeks we will celebrate Easter, and we will hear the story of the resurrection of Jesus… again. Even though we know the story of the death and resurrection, we come together and are reminded. The retelling of the story leads us to worship the Lord… to attribute worth to His name and to love Him for who He is and what He has done. This is one of the great things the Bible does for us. The reading of it – and the repeated reading of it – tells God’s story to us and we delight in it. In fact, delighting in God’s story in the Word is to worship. We know the beginning, middle, and end, but we want it again, because we love it. We often think about what we would do if we were the person being described. We wonder what our response, what our actions, and what our reactions would be. The Bible draws us in and calls forth a response of some kind from us. We want to find ourselves in God’s story.

                More than any other book, the Bible is not a book to be read one time followed by a conclusion of then having it all figured out – once and for all. It draws us back again and again. If we delight in it, the most commonly remembered stories (like David and Goliath) in it will speak to us anew, spark our imagination afresh, and spur us to deeper areas of love for the Lord and obedience to Him.

                There is an old hymn called Tell Me the Old, Old Story. In it the singer seeks to hear the good news again and again. Here are the lyrics…
Tell me the old, old story of unseen things above,  Of Jesus and His glory, of Jesus and His love.
Tell me the story simply, as to a little child,  For I am weak and weary, and helpless and defiled.
Refrain         Tell me the old, old story, tell me the old, old story,
Tell me the old, old story, of Jesus and His love.
Tell me the story slowly, that I may take it in,  That wonderful redemption, God’s remedy for sin.
Tell me the story often, for I forget so soon;  The early dew of morning has passed away at noon.

Tell me the story softly, with earnest tones and grave;  Remember I’m the sinner whom Jesus came to save.
Tell me the story always, if you would really be, In any time of trouble, a comforter to me.
Tell me the same old story when you have cause to fear  That this world’s empty glory is costing me too dear.
Yes, and when that world’s glory is dawning on my soul,  Tell me the old, old story: “Christ Jesus makes thee whole.”

                The song was written by Arabella Katherine Hankey. Daughter of banker Thom­as Hank­ey, Kath­er­ine (known to her friends as Kate) (1834-1911) be­longed to an evan­gel­ic­al group known as the Clap­ham Sect in England. The group was main­ly known for its an­ti-slav­ery and pro-mis­sion­ary stanc­es. While still a teen­ag­er, Hank­ey taught Sun­day school for girls. Lat­er, she tra­veled to South Af­ri­ca to be a nurse, and to help her in­val­id bro­ther. In her early 30’s, Hankey con­tract­ed a se­vere ill­ness. Dur­ing her pro­tract­ed re­cov­ery, she wrote a long po­em about Je­sus. It is in two parts, with the first, 50 stan­zas in length, ask­ing about Him, and the se­cond an­swer­ing the quest­ion. I Love to Tell the Sto­ry and Tell Me the Old, Old Sto­ry both come from this po­em.

Deuteronomy 6:20-23  -  20 In the future, when your son asks you, “What is the meaning of the stipulations, decrees and laws the Lord our God has commanded you?” 21 tell him: “We were slaves of Pharaoh in Egypt, but the Lord brought us out of Egypt with a mighty hand. 22 Before our eyes the Lord sent signs and wonders—great and terrible—on Egypt and Pharaoh and his whole household.

PRAYER: “Father, may we never grow weary of Your story. And every time we open Your Word please excite our imagination and increase our love for You and lead us to worship.  In Jesus’ name, AMEN.”


Jesus Christ is Lord!
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment